• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

findings on the XXL UDS burn....

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
dang, my exhaust is too big I think. I cant get her to back down on the temps, and I mean she's running over 350. I intentionally let the temp top out in the beginning but short of a garden hose I dont see them coming down.

I really don't think the doors are an issue as there is no sign of smoke or discoloring on either of them. Originally I thought I might make a vent control from a piece of the scrap. Looks like that is the next step. Oh well part of the fun is learning to use it. Once I get her dialed in I am looking forward to some darn good Q.

Also it looks like about a 10 degree spread from top to middle.

What number of and sizes of intakes are on the bottom?

I have four 1/2 in on the bottom. I started out with all of them open so I could get a good hot fire. put two back on and waited............. kept going up, put third one on and waited...........closed 'em all off and waiting......this thing wont die!!

I have create a UDS with a mind of its own!!

I have the scrap left to cut a cover for the exhaust. I will mount it with one rivit as a pivot point then I should be able to fine tune it.

On a good note it isnt going thru fuel like I thought it was but of course this burn I am using briquettes.

Jeff, did you check the temp at about the position the meat will hang? Wandering how much the temp might differ. Just a thought.

Yes, the temps at midrange run about 10 lower that the upper part. I think I am going to sticka different lid (I have a few ;) ) and see what happens.

I was thinking that too Burner. Can you just cover the top for now and see how long it takes to cool down ( checking for air leaks where you joined the two drums)? How much fuel did you put in Cyclops?

How about running some duct tape around that seam just for now and see if it changes?

8bf3nk0.jpg

If the temp is that close that is really cool. I's a little surprised but really glad about it. Just finding the right intake-exhaust combination will get you where you want. Sounding real good to this point. Good luck!!!

I just changed lids to one that has a 2in opening, we'll see what that does. I do have some metal tape, I may run it around the joint.

I opened the firebox door, I could see where the color has changed and a clear sign of no heat transference all the way around, the upper door was the same. If it is leaking very much shouldn't there be a sign of it?

I would think you would be able to see evidence of leaking. You have built several of these and seem to have a good handle on what's going on. Keep after it!!!

Maybe not, if it's cold air coming in.

I agree with that. I just figured I would see some evidence on one door or the other of a leak. It is something I am definitely going to have to experiment with.

might have been all for not but damn it was a good time. :biggrin:

Hold a lit cigarette or something smoking around the doors to see if it sucks air in. You know it doesn't take much.

OK, that's it. I've got more outdoor cooking devices around here than I've got fingers and toes and now I find myself searching CL for a drum. I gotta have one (or a few). Thanks fellas. These things do like like a lot of fun.

I was thinking of the soapy water test but thats for blowing.

OK, I am not sure how accurate the smoke test was with a cigarette but I gave it a shot. NOTHING.

I am starting to think I may have just let the fire get way way to hot to try and control with any speed. It topped out at 380. I closed it up and just let a 2 in opening for exhaust and it is SLOWLY heading back down the scale. I am sure there is probably a slight draft but nothing that should get it to far out of hand. Like I said, I have opened both door to check the color difference and you can plainly see the entire outline of the over lap. When I installed the latches I cinched the doors shut with a ratchet strap then marked my latches and cheated the holes just a little bit.
Does anyone have a way to figure the exhaust to volume ratio?

No... I don't have a ratio... but I really had the feeling when you posted before that it was WAY too much exhaust. I hate to be too bold... but I feel like your air intake should control your heat. Your exhaust should always be clean. If you have too much exhaust it affects your intake (I don't know exactly how but it does). I think you should close that exhaust down about 50% and take it slowly up from there.

Back