ABT holding ?

Brian in So Cal

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I need to make ABT's for a tamale party tomorrow. I like to eat them right away after smoking. But They will need to be made about 2 hours before the party. Will this work and any suggestions on how to store them (keep Warm) until I get to the party.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

Just an opinion: 2 hours is maybe a little long to hold hot. Bacon might turn too tough, or too chewey. I have had great luck doing a full cool down. and then a micro/broil reheat method.

Man, I'd like to know how to do that as well. It's going to be tough to keep them from drying out or going mushy on you.

Maybe in a glass container under plastic wrap, wrapped in towels, then opened up and ovened for a few minutes?

Good luck!

Arlin

Drop 'em by my house and I'll make sure they don't get too cold...

Happy New Years Brian!

Actually thinking about the same problem. Got to be at a party at 7pm, figure I'll put them on between 4-4:30, take them off and go.

Scott

Had the same problem today.....smoked 8 ABT's at 2:00, dinner is set for 6:00, holding in my tummy rather well...........sorry, not much help :cool:

I need to make ABT's for a tamale party tomorrow. I like to eat them right away after smoking. But They will need to be made about 2 hours before the party. Will this work and any suggestions on how to store them (keep Warm) until I get to the party.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

Easy peasy...smoke 'em, wrap 'em in hd foil, wrap 'em in a towel, put 'em in a cooler(think brisket here:lol:). Ten minutes or so before serving put the abt's back on the smoker or grill for a few minutes to warm (not too long or not too hot...you don't want to lose the cheese). The peppers may shrivel up a bit in the cooler and the bacon may be a little soggy...but the taste will be there. And hey...after a few beers...who cares! "Happy New Year"...right back at ya!:p:p:p

Just an opinion: 2 hours is maybe a little long to hold hot. Bacon might turn too tough, or too chewey. I have had great luck doing a full cool down. and then a micro/broil reheat method.

Can you give me some ideas as to time for the micro/broil method?

Thanks,
Brian

Will there be a grill available at the party? I did a couple dozen for a potluck at work and I was going to have to keep them for over 4 hours before we ate, so backyardchef (Matt) suggested putting them on the grill a couple turns to firm them up, so I figured I would undercook them a bit and try it. They were OK and everyone raved but they just were not not like hot out of the smoker. Also did some the other day and put them in a foil pan and stuck them in my SIL's holding cabinet for an hour, but still I don't think ABT's travel well.

Yea, I am afraid that they don't have a grill. Your right Swamprb they just don't taste the same as right off the smoker. Looks like I will be doing fatties instead. That's okay, They have never had fatties either so they should be a big hit.

Thanks for everybodys help.

Back