splitting spare racks.

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Any of yall with a WSM ever split your spare racks to get them to fit in the cooker better? does this affect the way the cook at all? It seems i cant lay a full rack down cause it folds over the sides of the cooker. and can only get 3 racks on a rib rack and they still flop over. Has anyone tried the roll method in the WSM? how many can ya fit in there? or i could quit being lazy and fire up my big stick burner for 3 - 6 racks o' ribs.

For 3-6 racks I'd go with the stick burner since you have it...

I usually don't use my WSM's for ribs, I like ribs on the pit. if using the WSM I would curl the ends a bit until they shrink a bit or maybe just cut off one end rib. Luckily, when I have used the WSM for ribs, they fit from end to end without a need to cut or curl.

I've also seen the suggestion to drape the ribs over a stainless steel bowl...

I saw one guy at a contest this summer have 4-6 racks of ribs cooking all laying on top of each other...nothing to space them out... Seemed a bit odd.

Sure you can split them Or use a Rib Rack
I have a Klose rack that works on St Luis Ribs very well

Paul Kirk recomends rolling your ribs if they don't fit.

If I'm cooking on my WSM for family and friends I split the ribs and use rib racks. Works fine.

I'm with squatter. Use the wsm for brisket and butt's. ribs go on the stick burner for space and ease of access. Mmmmmmm

Yep, all the time. Works just fine.

Never tried the "roll" method. Makes 'em too hard to foil! :rolleyes:

FatDaddy said:
Any of yall with a WSM ever split your spare racks to get them to fit in the cooker better? does this affect the way the cook at all? It seems i cant lay a full rack down cause it folds over the sides of the cooker. and can only get 3 racks on a rib rack and they still flop over. Has anyone tried the roll method in the WSM? how many can ya fit in there? or i could quit being lazy and fire up my big stick burner for 3 - 6 racks o' ribs.

Sometimes I will cut one of the ribs off the end to make a rack fit in the WSM. If cooking multiple racks I have been using an oven roasting rack turned upside down, can get 6 racks of ribs into it.

This is Kevin Taylor's (Stogie from TVWBB) idea for splitting racks to increase the capacity of your WSM:

"I was able to get 10 racks per WSM with NO squeezing. How?? I needed a few more rib racks so went to Lowes to buy some Weber racks. I noticed they had some CharBroil Rib and Potato racks for $8/rack....cheaper by $4 than the Webers. Even better..they can fit 8 half slabs of ribs!! Yes, by spreading the grooves apart, you can have 8 slots to fill. Now, the outside 2 were hanging over the water pan, so I didn't use them. I did use 6 slots(3 slabs), then placed 2 half slabs on top of these and 2 more half slabs on each side of the rack. What a sweet set-up! NO burning and they all cooked pretty evenly...though I did alternate top and bottom grates halfway thru. These racks are great...NOT the thickness of the Weber's but they held up fine and I envision using them more often."

The post can be found here:
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/7820071152?r=5920071152#5920071152

He's basically talking about making a house of cards with the split racks using the Charbroil rib and potato rack. He has 6 standing up, 2 flat acroos the top to make the roof of your little rib hut and one leaned up against each side to put the walls on the hut. Now, you won't have that nice color and bark anywhere the meat touches but this method lets you get a good amount of ribs in there while minimizing that problem. HTH.

BrooklynQ said:
Paul Kirk recomends rolling your ribs if they don't fit.

Depends on the shape of the rack (We don't have the choice of different cuts that you guys have!).

50% roll, 50% chop!!

WSM split ribs

I do ribs all the time on my WSM here is a pic.
PictureorVideo172-1.jpg

Back