MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Finished my Mini WSM basket last night w/ Photo

Just snapped a photo of the cook I'm starting on my Mini WSM with my new fire basket. (Didn't have a basket before).

I always used lump but bought some kingsford briquettes to try something someone recommended here on the forum: use lump but use a certain number of briquettes (6 for this test) to start it.

Hey all you Mini WSM owners can you describe to me how you set your fire up , what type of fuel you use.. how consistent it is and how long of a burn you get? How many wood chunks do you use, etc..

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just curious. Why the new thread each update instead of continuing the OP??

I'd love to follow it but not to the point of searching so many new threads.

Guess I'm just lazy that way :-((

There are some really cool and long threads UDs,PBC, WSM Mini, Akorn and when they are add too, they "bump" to the top and back into consciousness.

Best wishes for many happy cooks.

Last edited by 16Adams; 12-11-2013 at 10:31 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Bludawg

I have a basket in mine too. I pack it with Lump and 3 man fist sized chunks of wood. Light 8 briquettes( HEB brand) once they ash over they go on the lump. I wait 5 min and I put on the body no lid. Wait for TBS then put on the lid about 10 min. I normally run 275+ so when my temp hits 250 I bump the intake just a tad.
I can get 6-8 hrs depending on the wind & outside temps

Old 12-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
RW
Full Fledged Farker

I'm using HEB Grand Champion natural briquettes. I fill my homemade charcoal basket, which looks a lot like yours, then remove about 6-8 briqs to my Weber mini-chimney. I put a half of starter cube in the center of the charcoal basket, light it, set the chimney on top until I get a good start on the fire. Pour the briqs, close the bottom vents to about half on my SJ silver with chicken can mod. And I get ~ 275 degrees.
I've only gone around four hours, but I'd guess I could go at least two more hours, based on what's left when I shut the WSM down.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
peeps

I got longer times without a basket on my mini and just filling the whole bottom with briqs and chunks and starting via minion method.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Just curious. Why the new thread each update instead of continuing the OP??
This is the OP. I think you might be mistaking my 30 gallon UDS build with my Mini WSM?

Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
16Adams

+1 what Peeps says. No basket.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Fwismoker

I burn from the edge of the basket...this is how one burn finished. I then shake out the dust,slide over the old and add some new. Each time i'm lighting my fire with the partially burnt stuff which makes for a better hotter fire from the get go.

Doing this method i'm always burning from old to new and i always have wood chunks that turn into lump like pieces....it makes a great blend of briquettes and lump.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Nice looking basket.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Fwismoker

Quote:
+1 what Peeps says. No basket.
A basket makes for a hotter fire and cleaner burn which makes for better smoke. Also by having the bottom cut out of the pot which many have you can stack your charcoal for longer burn times. I have the basket set up for my mini as well as my jumbo mini build (the Jimmy) and it works incredibly incredibly well....wouldn't dream of not having a basket.

The basket is most effective for people with the sjg because the fire gets air from the sides as well as the bottom. It is also effective with the sjs but with those builds i recommend adding side air.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
This is the OP. I think you might be mistaking my 30 gallon UDS build with my Mini WSM?
My apologies. I guess it was just close enough topic to your other basket topic my calamari oil Co Q10 infused brain did not snap that it was a different cooker.

As I told my last girlfriend before I met my wife " it's me-not you"

Old 12-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
The basket is most effective for people with the sjg because the fire gets air from the sides as well as the bottom. It is also effective with the sjs but with those builds i recommend adding side air.
I've been thinking about buying a SJG just to see the difference. I am using the SJS inverted chicken can mod (with plenty of holes drilled in can on inverted upper sides).

Old 12-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
My apologies. I guess it was just close enough topic to your other basket topic my calamari oil Co Q10 infused brain did not snap that it was a different cooker.

As I told my last girlfriend before I met my wife " it's me-not you"
No problem. *giggle*

I am trying to resurrect my Mini WSM and make it a reasonable cooker. It's always been so hard to control the temp. I was told a basket would help so I am giving it a shot--I might have to get a SJG as well. My 30 gallon UDS burns nice and consistent (just built it), however I don't like that it uses so much more fuel than my Mini WSM. I am mostly cooking just for 2 and the Mini can handle most of it (I don't mind cutting my rack of ribs in half for cooking for 2). I am going to give my 30 gallon UDS to my brother for christmas and build a 55 gallon for myself instead. Then anything I can't cook on my Mini WSM I'll just do on the 55 gallon UDS without regard for fuel cost (won't be that often) e.g. spatchcocked turkey, packer brisket, full racks of ribs, etc..

Old 12-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
peeps

Quote:
I've been thinking about buying a SJG just to see the difference. I am using the SJS inverted chicken can mod (with plenty of holes drilled in can on inverted upper sides).
Just use your step bit you bought for your UDS build and drill (4) 3/4" holes. and use 3/4" pipe plugs to fill them. That's what I did with my SJS. I can use the bottom, the sides, or both.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Fwismoker

Quote:
It just makes a difference having air from all directions. Before getting a gold just maybe add a nipple with a cap on each side. The gold basically has two 1" holes on each side.