MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
EmilPatrick
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboz1419 View Post
Well I have had the heatermeter since version 1 and it was much much harder then it is now. Before there was no circuit boards and Raspberry PI, we used Linksys router and wires to connect on the components. The programming was just as bad. took me 6+ months to get one working lol.

But, now the heatermeter can be made by anybody fairly easy, The soldering is the hardest part. The circuit boards have a guide to tell you what goes where on it, and they are numbered, for instance R1 would be resister 1 and if you look at the list of components R1 would be a 1k resister(3 of them) C2 would be a .1u capacitor.

As long as you keep the resisters , caps ect.... in their bags that tell you what they are, you really don't even need to know what they are, if that makes sense. Pictures of the assembly

The programming is as easy as downloading the needed software on your computer as long as you have a SD card slot available, all you have to do install it to the SD card and that it.

Put the Sd card into the RasPI and done, you have yourself a Heatermeter. Byran is constantly updating the software.

And for those that have kids and if they would like to build something, this would be an awesome project for them to learn on.
Thanks for the reply, you helped convince me that this will definitely be something I can take on myself. It's been quite a while since I've done any serious soldering, but I think I can get the hang of again.

What are you using as a case if any? I've seen several people using the 3D printed models, just curious if there's anything else out there.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Just took them off the smoker, wrapping them in and putting them in a cooler for a few hours, 1130am lunch at the church. I made some fat johnny's bastardized piedmont sauce and a sweet mustard sauce, along with some homemade slaw, mmmmmmm can't wait

Nice Bark

Old 10-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilPatrick View Post
Thanks for the reply, you helped convince me that this will definitely be something I can take on myself. It's been quite a while since I've done any serious soldering, but I think I can get the hang of again.

What are you using as a case if any? I've seen several people using the 3D printed models, just curious if there's anything else out there.

Case?ummmm lol a ziplock bag. it works and it keeps the rain out. It rained all day yesterday, it did not have any problems

Yeah the soldering is not really that hard, just use lots of resin flux

Old 10-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

This what I used on my first Heatermeter, granted that had both a heatermeter and a Linksys router in it. I am thinking about trying the 3d printed cases, but the ziplock bag works just fine.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
EmilPatrick
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
This what I used on my first Heatermeter, granted that had both a heatermeter and a Linksys router in it. I am thinking about trying the 3d printed cases, but the ziplock bag works just fine.

That's quite the case on the the first case! I'll probably start out with a ziploc or rubbermaid container, but I'd like to get a more permanent case for use at comps and tail gates.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #21
rifraf
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

I have the 3D case and it is works awesome but it is not water proof so i just but it in my grill that is close to my UDS if it looks like rain

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

I think whats stopping me from getting a case atm is the price of 3d printing. looks nice though with the case