Why won't my chicken skin bite through?

B

bo_gator

My first competition is about a month away, in Tryon, NC. I am very worried about my chicken skin. No matter what I try my skin pulls off with the first bite. I even tried meat glue the last time, with the same results.

I scrape the fat off the underside of the skin after an hour or two in the brine, and then rub and cook at between 275 and 300 for an hour or so. I usually pull he chicken off the smoker at 170-175 IT, and then let it rest for 10 minutes or so.

What do I need to do :?: Other than to start buying skinless chicken thighs :?:

I feel for you comp guys, I made comp style thighs once just to try it out, I don't know how ya'll put up with scraping chicken skin.

Learn to cook chicken better?

In actuality, there are plenty of threads on this site that tell you different methods for getting bite through skin, just do a search and find them.

Meat glue will not work with anything related to salt. If you are brining your chicken, then using meat glue, it will not work.

there are many approaches....

a bit lower temp for longer, higher temp for shorter, foiled, direct sear, scraped, not scraped... adopt one and work with it until you reach your goal.

regarding meat glue, it absolutely works. did you let it "set" for at least two-three hours, or better overnight?

i've brined both before and after applying the skin with meat glue and had the skin stick like it was, well, glued.

i should mention though it was oakridge gamechanger soak though, so that could make a difference.

My first competition is about a month away, in Tryon, NC. I am very worried about my chicken skin. No matter what I try my skin pulls off with the first bite. I even tried meat glue the last time, with the same results.

I scrape the fat off the underside of the skin after an hour or two in the brine, and then rub and cook at between 275 and 300 for an hour or so. I usually pull he chicken off the smoker at 170-175 IT, and then let it rest for 10 minutes or so.

We'll be in Tryon as well. A common method for helping to get bite through is putting the chicken in a pan withe some liquid or margarine and steaming or braising for a bit. If you search for "competition chicken" you'll probably find a few threads on those types of methods (hot tubbing as they call it for a portion of the cook).

I have never had very much luck with that. I don't compete with Chicken.

Meat glue does work. As mentioned salt can mess with the glue. Allowing the meat to steam covered in a pan of liquid may help.

Scrape skin, don't brine skin, cook at higher temp. Skin has always been bite thru to the point where I don't even have to pinch it .. can hold a thigh by the knuckes of the bone and it stays right where it should.

Back