Need a dinner idea for sunday, thoughts?!?

Time_1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So my brother in-laws family is in the states from Australia and my wife wants to have them over on sunday for dinner. My wifes wants me to throw something in the smoker (UDS) for them. I dont want to do ribs and tri-tip is what im thinking about doing just looking for other ideas.

Thoughts? I kind of want to WOW them :becky:

Can't go wrong with pulled pork sammiches, cole slaw, etc. As for the WOW! ABT's, fatties for the appetizer and or pig candy!

You may also want to ask if there is something they don't like so that you can stay away from it.

I like what Bob said Do something they may not see in Australia- PM some of our Aussie Brethren and ask them

This may be blasphemy for this site but I say forget all that and deep fry them a turkey. I would put money on the fact that they have never tried one. :loco:

This may be blasphemy for this site but I say forget all that and deep fry them a turkey. I would put money on the fact that they have never tried one. :loco:

Actually, deep frying stuff wouldn't be a bad idea either. Chicken wings, pork carnitas, big fish fry. On that note, a big crawfish/shrimp boil would be a WOW kinda deal too.

Not to bash TT, but if you are thinking about going that route, you could just go with some really nice, thick steaks too. A surf and turf type grilled dinner would rock too.

What I'd do Mate is...

Find out what they like, don't like or any potential allergies.

Cook them something that is a local speciality, a way of cooking or a food that is mostly special to your location.

Find out how they like to eat, eg; Some prefer 'homestyle' informality, others like (and expect) a more formal setting, some are quite happy to get round early and help you prep and cook the food.

Hope that helps....and I guess, don't try and source some kangaroo or emu steaks for them!

I say cook what your comfortable doing that you do well. Keep it simple and don't over think it.

Cook them something that is a local speciality, a way of cooking or a food that is mostly special to your location.

That would be my suggestion too. The OP being in Fresno, I think tri-tip is a good choice, although the UDS would not be my choice for the cooker.

I agree with that and if they never have had tri tip there would be plenty of WOW factor when they did

What I'd do Mate is...

Find out what they like, don't like or any potential allergies.

Find out how they like to eat, eg; Some prefer 'homestyle' informality, others like (and expect) a more formal setting, some are quite happy to get round early and help you prep and cook the food.

Hope that helps....and I guess, don't try and source some kangaroo or emu steaks for them!

I agree with everything you say except for the bolded statement. If I'm traveling to another country, I want to experience the culture of that country. If I'm invited to someone else's place, I expect to experience their normal situation. I don't want them try to replicate my normal situation. Just because my family is normally very relaxed doesn't mean I wouldn't I wouldn't enjoy going to someone else's place for a formal dinner. In fact, we are doing exactly that tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, im bad at the multi-quote thing so here is a reply to everyone LOL.

After thinking about it im gonna stick with my tri-tip idea. Im positive his family hasnt had one before and the last one I did on the UDS was AMAZING.

Carbon whats wrong with the choice of cooker? My plan is to do a reverse sear with it on my gasser. The plan is to smoke it on the UDS until the temp internal temp reaches 100-110 and then throw it on the hot gasser and sear it until 135 and pull it and let it rest for half hour or so in a foil tent.

Am I wrong in my cooking process? What cooker should I be using?

Carbon whats wrong with the choice of cooker? My plan is to do a reverse sear with it on my gasser. The plan is to smoke it on the UDS until the temp internal temp reaches 100-110 and then throw it on the hot gasser and sear it until 135 and pull it and let it rest for half hour or so in a foil tent.

Am I wrong in my cooking process? What cooker should I be using?

Oh, absolutely nothing wrong with your method. Your dinner guests are in for a real treat! Since I have a kettle I always use that whenever I do tri-tips.

Oh, absolutely nothing wrong with your method. Your dinner guests are in for a real treat! Since I have a kettle I always use that whenever I do tri-tips.

Well I do have a 22.5" kettle that I bought for parts on my UDS when I built it. I could always take the grill out of my UDS and put it back in my kettle and use it. Whats your cooking method on the kettle im curious?

Back