Turning your Kettle into a Pellet Pooper!

I think these came out about three years ago. I was pretty interested in them, thought about getting one for my Cajun Bandit, and thought they'd catch on. They didn't. I remember hearing good things about them, but that was a while ago.

dmp

Looks interesting. If I had the money to risk, I'd give it a try. But, for 350 bucks, I wouldn't want to be the first person I know to buy one.

CD

I remember seeing those a couple of years ago. Never really impressed me. I don't want to sound like I'm bad mouthing this thing, especially since I've never used one. However, for that price, I think I'd just get a Traeger Junior. Kettles are for charcoal, not pellets.

Matt

The problem with pellet smokers is the cost of the pellets. A 1LB bag at Walmart is $5.99.
So by the time you do the smoking, it could cost quite a lot. I am able to get a 1kg bag of hickory sawdust for $4.90 which is more reasonable for my location. I would say that the wood cost is one of the most important things to consider for buying any smoker.

Reading the instructions for lighting it, seems like a pain in the butt. Also, not showing a picture of the control surface makes me a little leary.

I have been a 100% pellet guy since 2007 and have never looked back.

But...I can not see any advantage to converting a Weber to pellets!!
Charcoal/chunks is a wonderful way to cook.
Really hard to improve on that, IMHO,

I would "pass" on any such conversion.

If ya wanna cook with pellets--just buy a pellet cooker--don't "Jerry Rig"! 8)

TIM

yea, they started showing up in sacramento craiglist and then expanded out.
not sure why a kettle needs something like that but the price is a turnoff.

The problem with pellet smokers is the cost of the pellets. A 1LB bag at Walmart is $5.99.

FYI -

I can buy Traeger pellets in 20lb bags for a little over $8.00 per bag.
That's 40 cents a lb. Even at full retail, the Traeger pellets are under $1.00 per lb.

Back