• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first UDS.... with PRON!

A

Arizona Ugly I

Hi all! After spending countless hours reading posts I finally did my first UDS.
I feel like a proud papa and sat by her side last night for some 5 hours watching my temps and making sure all would be ok. I wasn't let down. The top of the stack is @ 6' I wanted it this high so when we're out back the smoke doesn't choke us out and living in Phoenix everyone has 6' block walls so this will also aid in the drafting.

My UDS which I named Arizona Ugly I, climbed up to 400F with all vents open just as I wanted and then one by one I lowered the temp and she held at 240F for the last couple hours until I ran out of beer errr had to go to sleep.

I have a few more gadgets Im adding to her this week like wheels, night lights, bottle opener with catcher and a wood basket made from old Freon jugs.

Anyway, glad I found this place and I look forward to learning mush more in the future.

Rick

My build:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2268746&postcount=10278

Attachments

• my smoker.jpg
    my smoker.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 278
  • my smoker 2.jpg
    my smoker 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 275
  • my smoker 3.jpg
    my smoker 3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 276
Where did you get the accessories basket......I'd love to have that on the side of mine.

Good looking drum Rick.
You mean to tell us that you fired up your new cooker just to watch the temps ???? NO mention of any kind of MEAT or a FATTY on it????

Thank you.

Yesterday I seasoned the inside of it. Today Im trying a ham. Will have pics of that later. Im still reading on some rub recipes.

Where did you get the accessories basket......I'd love to have that on the side of mine.

Its from an old gas grill I got for $5.00 off of CL. I bent it over me knee believe it or not. It'll come in handy for spices and things.

Nice stack! Gives me hope that I may finish mine someday.congrats!

Nice stack! Gives me hope that I may finish mine someday.congrats!

Thanks!

Works like a champ too. Its light weight aluminum but thick guage. I had my local sheet metal shop make it up for me, it has a butterfly damper in it and a Chinese hat rain shield I haven't installed yet and a flange. You can have one made for under $30.

Man o man she likes to run hot! I started my charcoal basket with a weed burner and the temp went up to 300F pretty quickly, this was with 2 out of the 3 fresh air intakes closed.
I think maybe I started to many charcoal chunks and wood up at the initial start up.

Next time Im only hitting the charcoal for 15-20 seconds and see what happens.
Ham and ABTs are cooking. I used a honey and brown sugar glaze along with pineapple slices on the ham. ABTs, just cream cheese, cheddar cheese and bacon (and to think Im lactose intolerant) lol.

My thoughts are the tall exhaust creates a stronger than normal vacuum internally. This will pull more air in through the Intakes. Mine runs with one valve open at 240*. My theory with yours pulling more air through will run hotter. Pugi

My thoughts are the tall exhaust creates a stronger than normal vacuum internally. This will pull more air in through the Intakes. Mine runs with one valve open at 240*. My theory with yours pulling more air through will run hotter. Pugi

I agree. Being windy didnt help things either.

Nice looking drum. But I went ape over the red kettle! Weed burner is too hot for a low and slow. I hit a few prices of charcoal with a small propane touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when trying to get one basket of briquettes to last all cook, what's the best way to light it?

Ham turned out great!

Attachments

• ham on smoker 11102012.jpg
    ham on smoker 11102012.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 55
Back