Legs for the drum - PRON

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been using cinder blocks to raise one of our drums up off the ground. I'm 6'5" so raising it up a few inches makes it a little more comfortable to work around. Got tired of lugging around cinder blocks and decided to come up with a stand. It had to be lightweight, cheap and since the drums are stored outside year round, somewhat weather proof.

After wandering the aisles at Lowes and brainstorming over a six pack, I decided on PVC. Definitely not the intended use of PVC, but it fit the above criteria. Durability and heat resistance TBD, but here's what I came up with. Sorry for the GIANT pics!

(if you are a plumber by trade, you might not want to look at the pics!)

Borrowed chop saw and a bunch of parts
007.jpg

Dry fit before gluing!
009.jpg

Primed and glued. I couldn't find caps, so I used T's for the feet to keep from sinking into soft ground.
011.jpg

Bolts so the drum doesn't sit directly on the PVC.
012.jpg

Finished product! (Note the lonely looking cinder blocks in the background.)
015.jpg

Looks neat :) I wonder if there is an easy way to make that base with three legs instead of four?

Looks neat :) I wonder if there is an easy way to make that base with three legs instead of four?

My original sketch was for 3 legs, but couldn't find a 3 way cross for the center and my algebra isn't good enough to figure out what type of elbows make a triangle!

After wandering the aisles at Lowes and brainstorming over a six pack, I decided on PVC. Definitely not the intended use of PVC, but it fit the above criteria. Durability and heat resistance TBD, but here's what I came up with. Sorry for the GIANT pics!

Lowes normally does not like it when customers are wandering the aisles with beer, but heck, you're 6"5"... there are some benefits.:becky:

015.jpg

Yeah, I can see why it would be tough to lug those cinder blocks 4 whole feet :becky: Only poking fun. Nice job of coming up with a creative solution :thumb:

Nice Job there Brother!! Think it'll manage the heat? I think it should. Dunno how hot those drums run though.

I see your KU posters... Class of '03 here! :thumb: Miss Lawrence!
Cheers

From my experience on my UDS the bottom stays pretty cool since all the heat is going up and out. The bottom of my charcoal basket is about 3" from the bottom of the UDS. I have an ash pan and about 1" "legs" out of the bottom of the pan that sit directly on the bottom of the UDS.

I can easily place my hand on the underside of the UDS and not get burned.

If it does get too hot and start to melt, there is a company that makes a soldering mat (for a lack of better terms) to prevent heat from catching unwanted things on fire. My dad has one and showed me the demo he got from the salesman...melted a nickel with a handheld propane torch while he held it in his hand. You could cut it into strips and place them between the bottom of your UDS and the PVC.

You be fine heat wise. When I was burning out my barrel (had 6' flames) I actually found unburned newspaper in the bottom after the fire was out

After one cook, so far so good!

I have 2 drums. One tends to run a little hotter than the other. So, I used the one that runs cooler and hooked up my iQue110 to make sure the temp didn't get away from me. I checked the PVC and drum from time to time and it was slightly warm but never too hot to touch. Between warm up, cook and cool down, I'd say it was around 225-230 for about 7 hours. I'm planning on cooking a brisket flat this weekend. So it will be the same temp, but closer to 10-11 hours when it's all said and done. Should be a good test. Plus, it will be sitting out in the cold all week, so I'll get a feel for how it holds up to colder temps when not in use.

If I were cooking at a higher temp, I don't think I would use w/o some serious modifications and testing. May have to stick with the cinder blocks or pavers when cooking chicken, since the bird is cooked at a much higher temp.

Back