Help with Christmas Party Menu?

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've been asked to cook (short notice) for a Christmas party this weekend for my landlord.

He is planning on 20-30 head. Informal drop-in.
Budget not an issue, but he wants to have unique BBQ type fare.

Appetizers: ABTs and ??
Main course: Prime Rib and ??
Sides: Twice baked taters and ???

I am toying with making Pork Confit as a small plates type course, a whole rib roast (bone-in) for the carving station, some ABTs as appetizers.

I'm looking for thoughts, ideas, suggestions on menu from the mighty brethren.

For appetizers I'd do ABTs or Chilli-Lime chicken wings. Also smoking a Salmon fillet and mixing with cream cheese and green onion is a continuous request for me.

Main course-pulled pork (maybe on big baked 'taters)or ribs

Sides-hog-apple baked beans and slaw and potato salad

He has already been introduced to true southern pulled pork, dry ribs and Spatchcock chicken, so was looking to continue the introduction.

His idea of BBQ is throwing chicken or tri tip on a gasser.
I have been trying to re-educate him.

What about MOINK balls as an appetizer? I certainly had never seen those before I came to the Brethren.

Pig candy for an app? People lose their minds over that stuff.

I do something similar to an ABT and make them for all of my parties and they are a huge success. Take however many jalepenos that you want and cut the top off and core them out. Slice thin strips of chicken and sprinkle your favorite rub on it and either smoke, grill, or cook in skillet until they are about 3/4 done. cut into strips small enough to fit into your peppers. Then take your favorite cheese and cut them into strips and stuff in the pepper along with the chicken. I use smoked gouda. Wrap in bacon and sprink with your rub. Smoke for 1-2 hours then pull off and cover with BBQ sauce. You can either eat as is or if you are like me and like your bacon crispy I through them on the grill over high heat for a bit to crisp up my bacon.

What about a porchetta for the carving station? Tastes incredible and it is quite the talk if you leave the head. Definitely unusual and different.

Atomic Tater Tots!!! I saw them on here...can't remember who posted them originally but daaaaannnng they are good: Oreda xtra crispy tots, fresh jalepenos, thin sliced bacon, some rub and a sweet bbq sauce..a tot, a slice of jalepeno, wraped in bacon, rub and cook. when done dip in sauce and let it set on the cooker for a few minutes. mmmmmmmm.

Smoke some gator tail.:becky:

Would probably be difficult to get and pricey as hell though, but the WOW factor would be worth it if he ain't scared to pay the price and you could find it.

Smoked Rabbit would probably be good too and a little easier on the pocket book if you could find it locally.

We hosted a Christmas party last year and made "fattie biscuits" for appetizers.

We made small buttermilk biscuits and put slices of various stuffed fatties in them. We cooked 4 different kinds of fatties, so everyone got to try different flavors.

Also had some smoked chipotle mac n cheese with bacon chunks as a side during the main course.

Both were successful dishes, but we had 15 people begging us to make more of the fattie biscuits.

The salmon and cream cheese, the porchetta, the scotch eggs and the fattie biscuits are all calling to me.

I'll have to pass on gator tail and smoked bunny, at least this go around.

What about veggies for the veggie minded crowd?

Oh, and those dang atomic tater tots sound fabulous, but for a later date, since I will already be doing ABTs

You could do an Asian inspired sweet/sour cole slaw.

or

wilted lettuce, greens, purple onions with warm bacon drippings and bits...(really southern)

and some nice rotel & cheese corn bread....

You could do an Asian inspired sweet/sour cole slaw.

or

wilted lettuce, greens, purple onions with warm bacon drippings and bits...(really southern)

and some nice rotel & cheese corn bread....
I love wilted lettuce salad with corn bread, bacon, bacon grease, boiled eggs, green onions.... ummm good...

However, it is even better if you use CURLY MUSTARD instead of lettuce. MUCH BETTER!

For the veggie crowd:

Smoked portabella risotto entree with a nice salad of grilled asparagus, smoked tomatoes, a little fresh cheese tossed with a balsamic oil vinaigrette.

Back