My first comp!!!!

kennedyma

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Finished my first comp today. It was just a local rib cook-off, but I have to start somewhere right?

We had to cook Baby Backs so no St. Louis spares here they provided the meat.

What we did:
Smoker temp: 275ish
Used Blue Hogs rub
Sprayed every 25mins
Foiled at 2.75 hours for 45mins w/ Honey, Apple Juice(small amt.), Country Crock and BBQ Sauce(small amt).
Glazed after foil
Cooked for another 20mins.

Of the 14 teams that competed we came in 5th. I'm super happy with that. I haven't cooked ribs that much and to beat out 8 other teams is a win in my book.

Just thought I would share and I'm sure there are lots more to come.

Last edited:
Very cool...congrats on a successful 1st comp! :thumb:

Awesome! Congrats. Starting at any competition is a great way to start :p. Our first competition back in April was a backyard MBN where we just did ribs and butt. It was nice to only have to cook 2 categories and expand from there. Thanks for sharing.

Good start!The competitions I have been to seem like great times,I will put my feet in fully next season.5th is a great place for a first competition.T

Congrats! I just recently did my first competition as well. Also, a small rib only cookoff, that me and my teammate took first place in. The bug has bitten and we'll definitely be doing more now as well.

Great job! Where was the competition?

Moose Lodge in Batavia.

My cousin and I competed together. He built a Backwoods clone last winter and we are just starting to get the hang of using it.

Back