Brisket on at 6am... done at 6pm?

DirtyDirty00

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Havent had luck with my first briskets. Partially bc i have always used just the flats.

gonna pick up a packer in a few hours.

Gonna get it on at 6am. But im gonna cook it at about 250-280. (target temp to keep chamber will be 265)

im gonna foil it when it hits 160-165 and pull it around 195-200 when it passes a good probe test.

Any way with the foiling and at 265 that this gets done by 6pm? (12 hours)

----- on another note:

my briskets in the past have been just flats. ive NEVER foiled before. they come out nice and juicy but not so tender at around the 8 hours mark (i slice em but they need to be cut up in my plate, they dont easy come apart with a little tug)... or if i leave em on longer they get so dry, like rubber.

thanks all!

At that temp it should be done a lot sooner than 12 hours on any cooker. I cook on a drum with a grease catcher that acts as a heat shield and i have cooked 18lb packers in 9 - 10 hours at 230 degrees wrapping them at 160ish.

It's gonna depend on the size of the brisket. They cook along the same timeline as butts usually... about 1.5hrs/lb. I have never cooked a full pakcer either but I have been told that the flat gets done before the point, so you might need to separate the two after the flat is done and then put the point back on...

It may be just me.... but foiling that low may not allow the collegin to break down, 160 is not past the plateu

Havent had luck with my first briskets. Partially bc i have always used just the flats.

gonna pick up a packer in a few hours.

Gonna get it on at 6am. But im gonna cook it at about 250-280. (target temp to keep chamber will be 265)

im gonna foil it when it hits 160-165 and pull it around 195-200 when it passes a good probe test.

Any way with the foiling and at 265 that this gets done by 6pm? (12 hours)

It may be just me.... but foiling that low may not allow the collegin to break down, 160 is not past the plateu

----- on another note:

my briskets in the past have been just flats. ive NEVER foiled before. they come out nice and juicy but not so tender at around the 8 hours mark (i slice em but they need to be cut up in my plate, they dont easy come apart with a little tug)... or if i leave em on longer they get so dry, like rubber.

thanks all!

if you keep your temps up 265-75 plus, you could get her probe tender in 7-8 hours.

let her rest an hour or so and eat. i'd figure 9-10 hours from cold to plate depending on the size.

hmmm... thanks all.

ya i understand it depends on the size. not sure quite how big ill get, that might depend on teh time!

i have heard the 1.5 hours per lb before. but that would mean a 14 pounder would take 21 hours! which is what led me to posting this :D

I would consider changing one thing at a time. Try the packer without foil first. Then do a flat with foil. Finally do a packer with foil. This way you can figure out what works beat for you.

Making two changes at once won't let you know what worked.

I would consider changing one thing at a time. Try the packer without foil first. Then do a flat with foil. Finally do a packer with foil. This way youmcan figure out what works beat for you.

Making two changes at once won't let you know what worked.

This is true. If anything ill try the packer without foil. Its not that i have chose to cook flats and i dont like the outcome. I never had access to packers before today or i never woulda done flats. So from this day forward all i plan on doing is packers. they dont have packers up here :( but RD carries them and i just joined :-D

What about the Burnt ends????? You’re missing the meat candy in the plans.

Several folks have already chimed in here with good advice. I was low and slow 1.5 hrs per pound for brisket for the last 25 years.

If you crank it up to 275 / 280. All your marks are the same, the time schedule is just compacted. Look for 165 to foil and then when its done its done.

The last competition I cooked 2 13lb briskets, hitting the pit at 0500. One was done by 10:30, one was done by 11:30.

You should have plenty of time even if the briskets are stubborn!

Good luck.

I cook mine around 225 -250 allowing 1 - 1.5 hrs per lb.
I start with fatcap up, and flip and rotate every 1.5 hrs, this also gives me a chance to mop it with my favorite mop sauce, and check the drip/water pans at the same time.

Mine always turn out beautifully..

What about the Burnt ends????? You’re missing the meat candy in the plans.

o yes. dont worry! too much info for now! ill be posting that question tomorrow once my brisket is on for its initial smoking before i have to separate the flat and the point!

I love smoking packers and if you don't mind I'd like to throw some advice your way.

1) I don't know what you are cooking on but foiling at 160 is generally a good idea. Especially if you are cooking at those higher temps because if you do not, you will end up with a dry flat more times than not.

2) I would encourage you to drop those temps down a bit..keep it under 265. Anything above that and you risk boiling the juices inside the meat and making it dry.

3) If you are buying your packer from the grocery store, you will most likely end up with somethign like a 12-14lb piece of meat. I say between 12 and 14 because the lighter ones tend to have more fat trimmed, the heavier ones will end up lighter once you trim the fat down a bit...which leads me to ..

4) Trim the fat cap down to about a quarter of an inch. It will cut down on your cook time and the fat isn't going to do much for you other than provide a heat barrier...which brings me to..

5) Fat cap down! (May the arguments begin....) :)

Good luck and start probing at about 9-10 hours...that bad boy will be done in under 12, I guarantee it. (Most likely about 10 hours).

Back