MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Talking Smokey Joe Tall Boy Smoker Mod ~ Brethren Comments

Well, the mod is nearing completion and it's far enough along to get some comments or ideas from all of you. This has been a fun build, and so far I've done 5 test cooks. The characteristics of this cooker have really changed for the better. Because I also will be using this for my camping/fishing trips I'm thinking a canvas stuff sack would be the ticket for transporting. I still need to install a thermometer, and maybe a larger ash pan.

The plant stand I used when this was still a grill does not work now that it's a smoker. The original legs are much more stable considering the height of the Tall Boy.

I'm still using the clips for the grate, I made two sets for different heights. Right now I'm cooking about 9" from the charcoal.

My first charcoal basket will work fine for short or low temp cooks, but I've made a larger basket. The mini-basket is loose and can just sit inside the larger one when needed.

I For my drip pan/heat shield, I built a rack to sit in the lower ledge, but added some risers to split the distance between the charcoal basket and the cooking grate. I am using a standard pie pan (this one is stainless) for this. It sits 5" from the charcoal basket, and 4" below my cooking grate.

I did document all of the steps in the build with about 10 photos, mostly involving the layout and cutting of the tamale pot, and will most likely devote an entire page on my cookin' site to this build.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Sweet!! I like the rack for your pie pan VERY much!!

Have used a clay saucer for my heat sheild. Has served me well. I did buy a second tamale pot...want to play around with drip/water pan this time around. May just have to "borrow" your idea!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Lookin good Now I want one.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Love it! ...... Very cool

Old 08-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
bigabyte

Looks like a really good setup!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks awesome Wayne! I use an inner basket like that in my UDS for smaller cooks and can see the value of one in this size smoker. I think this is going to be my next project once I finish the stick burner i am working on.

I have to ask did you modify the shroud/guard on your angle grinder for extra clearance?

If you did it's a great idea that I am going to use. I keep one of my grinders with the shroud off for general cutting since it always got in the way. It's rather sketchy using it since your hand is a only a few inches from the wheel...
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-BBQ View Post
Looks awesome Wayne! I use an inner basket like that in my UDS for smaller cooks and can see the value of one in this size smoker. I think this is going to be my next project once I finish the stick burner i am working on.

I have to ask did you modify the shroud/guard on your angle grinder for extra clearance?

If you did it's a great idea that I am going to use. I keep one of my grinders with the shroud off for general cutting since it always got in the way. It's rather sketchy using it since your hand is a only a few inches from the wheel...
That is a Milwaukee grinder and that model has a "tool free" guard. There is just a little tab you press and then you can rotate the guard where you want it, it's kind of cool because it's so fast and easy when it comes to directing the spark path.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

That's probably the best looking conversion I have seen so far on one of these... nice work!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Boshizzle

Nice work! I picked up a Smokey Joe last week to make one of those too.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
swamprb

I'm not feeling the grate supports.
The welded ring is nice cuz you got skillz and I would expect nothing less from team thirdeye. Sturdier legs would drive me wild.

What will the first cook be??
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Im going to be doing this soon I really dig the water pan mod. Wish I had the skills to make one.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I'm not feeling the grate supports.
The welded ring is nice cuz you got skillz and I would expect nothing less from team thirdeye. Sturdier legs would drive me wild.

What will the first cook be??
Brian, the grate clips are a temporary deal, just until I play with different heights..... however they work much better than I could have imagined. What height is your grate (how far down from the rim)?

That ring was really a lucky break, it came from the bone pile. A year ago I was working on a vertical skewer idea and never completed it. I had 3 of the "L"'s make but only one tacked in place. I reversed the "L"s and they were a good fit to the larger ring.

I've thought about different legs, and aluminum would be a good material as it's easy to form and drill. Modifying a plant stand is also an option.

My first cook was pork loin steaks (two batches) then I did sausages, nuts, and today I made a buffalo burger.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would have expected NOTHING less! I have been waiting on you to post your build before I made the WallyWorld trek.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #14
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
I would have expected NOTHING less! I have been waiting on you to post your build before I made the WallyWorld trek.
The full blown procedure I used in on the home page of my cookin' site. Once I get it finalized I'll make it a thread here.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #15
Old Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Wayne,

Great job!!

Dave
Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote