Need Help with Smoker Design

Mvillesmoker

Reaction score
I have a smoker that I built several years ago and have decided to make some changes to it and I am having problems with my temps now.

Originally the smoker was a 500 gal fuel tank that I built a fire box on the end of. Of course it is trailer mounted. I put a divider wall in the middle and used half for smoking and half for grilling. The grilling side had a pan bulit under the rack. Worked really good (both sides).

I never used the grilling side so I decided to convert the whole thing to a smoker. Problem is I'm having trouble getting my temps up in both sides now. Not so much on the smoker side but the other side barely reaches 100 degrees. The divider wall is still in place.

Also, I have 2 2" smoke stacks on both sides centered over the chambers.

Do I need to remove the divider wall? Do I need to redo to smoke stacks?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

How can we help you mod something without seeing it? Any pics would be appreciated.

Yeah I'm thinking pics would help as well, but from the sounds of it... yeah, you would have to remove the divider and increase the diameter of your stacks. Whats the size of your firebox? that could be an issue as well. how much wood are you burning? is your fire big enough?? (just covering all aspects.)

Post a pic if possible though. You'd get more concrete advice.

Cheers.

Back