Second Pastrami...No Flop!

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
:pMy first pastrami was almost a complete flop, until I learned that steaming at the end of the cook was the way to go for me. Anyhow, this time the pastrami turned out better than any I've ever had and I've had a lot. It is super moist, slices like butter, but still has some chew to it. It melts in your mouth, but is not mushy at all. Thanks to you guys for all the great advice.

I'll take one on rye with mustard and Swiss cheese. :thumb:
Actually, I had it on a freshly baked Rosemary and Olive Oil bread, with deviled egg potato salad, a few kosher, deli style pickles and some Maui style potato chips. I'm getting hungry all over again!

Actually, I had it on a freshly baked Rosemary and Olive Oil bread, with deviled egg potato salad, a few kosher, deli style pickles and some Maui style potato chips. I'm getting hungry all over again!

Yeah, I'll have that :hungry:

That looks awesome! Where's the thread with the directions? I like your serving suggestion too.

That looks awesome! Where's the thread with the directions? I like your serving suggestion too.
I used Third Eye's rub recipe and slightly modified cooking instructions. I smoked at 225 till IT was 150, foiled, then 250 till IT was 180. From there I went straight into the steamer for 1 1/2 hours. I fork tested the meat at 1 hour, then 1 1/4 hours, then at 1 1/2 hours, it was done. Thanks Third Eye! Sorry, don't have the link.

I used Third Eye's rub recipe and slightly modified cooking instructions. I smoked at 225 till IT was 150, foiled, then 250 till IT was 180. From there I went straight into the steamer for 1 1/2 hours. I fork tested the meat at 1 hour, then 1 1/4 hours, then at 1 1/2 hours, it was done. Thanks Third Eye! Sorry, don't have the link.

Well done Darita! It looks tasty!:thumb:

As requested, link to Thirdeye's instructions.

Steamer Question

Looks Great!

Are you using a commercial steamer (if so what brand) or on the stove-top?

I have cooked 3 pastrami's so far and have smoked till about 150-155 then steam in an electric pressure cooker for 20mins. All have been great. I like to then let em cool off in the fridge and have sandwiches all week. I've been curious to just smoke it the whole time till about 180 and see how it compares.

I have cooked 3 pastrami's so far and have smoked till about 150-155 then steam in an electric pressure cooker for 20mins. All have been great. I like to then let em cool off in the fridge and have sandwiches all week. I've been curious to just smoke it the whole time till about 180 and see how it compares.

No commercial steamer here. I used the stove top. Also, FYI, when the pastrami was done, I stuck the temp probe in it just to see what the IT was...210 degrees! I am also curious as to what the pastrami would have been like, had I kept it in the smoker until it was tender. It was foiled and full of juices, so I would think it would have been about the same, but I certainly am not sure of that. Someday I'll have the guts and the extra piece of corned beef, to find out.

Back