UDS build question

fudally

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I have a UDS build question. I finally was able to pick up a 55 gal non food grade drum. I know it has never been used but it does have some rust spots on the inside. Is there anyway to prep the drum so its safe to cook in other than sandblasting? I'm having a hard time coming up with a way to get it sandblasted so I can move on with my build. Any suggestions? Thanks

FIRE! Grab a few pallets. Drill your intake holes and light a huge fire of pallets on the drum. That'll burn all the bad stuff out. Try to get the fire as hot as you can get it.

Scuff off the rusty spots with a scotch bright pad build it & do a Seasoning run, Aint no reason on Gods Green earth to go through all that extra work if it is new or refurbished Barrel

If it's just bare metal with a few rust spots, some sand paper or a wire wheel/cup brush will be all you need. After that, wipe/spray the sides with olive or vegetable oil and smoke a couple fatties! It'll go from shiny bare metal to deep black in one smoke.

It is a DOT approved drum, I can only assume it is rust protected inside. For the suggestions of the fire, just build the fire and put the drum upside down in it to cook off the rust inhibitor? I just want to make sure I do this correctly. Thanks for all the help!

That's what i was thinking it probably has that rust inhibitor inside because otherwise it would more than likely have more than a couple of rust spots.

It is a DOT approved drum, I can only assume it is rust protected inside. For the suggestions of the fire, just build the fire and put the drum upside down in it to cook off the rust inhibitor? I just want to make sure I do this correctly. Thanks for all the help!

No, build the fire directly in the barrel. Drill your intake holes, then put some wood in there, and fire it up!

I'm going to give it a go, thanks guys for all your help. I'll be sure to post pics of my first build along the way

Back