peat-smoked lamb lollipops in one hour

K

katzenfinch

I ordered some peat chips last week, and when they arrived in the mail on Monday I decided to fire up the smoker and burn some just because I like the smell, which is similar to that of a good Scotch whisky.

Then I decided I may as well put something in the smoker, and what I had on hand was a rack of lamb. I cut it into two-bone lollipops and distributed them in the smoker, thinking I would smoke them for an hour (at 250°F by the door thermometer, FWIW) then finish them on the grill or under the broiler.

After an hour had passed, I took them out and they were done perfectly, no finishing required. And were they ever delicious!

I absolutely will do that again, and soon. It’s really nice to know that there are some things I can make in the evening after work in a relatively short time. Next week I’ll try the same technique with pork chops.

We had someone else proposing smoking with peat a couple of years ago. Sounds interesting and different. I often use corn cobs which also sounds different

Let me see if I can find that old thread.

smoking with peat / Sneaky Pete

I did find that interesting! Thanks for looking that up. Sneaky Pete is the expert on peat smoking as far as I’m concerned. I became aware of peat smoking at his booth at Irish Fest in Indianapolis several years ago. He always had a grill going with some peat smoking a pork shoulder in it, and if you wanted a sample he would give you a squirt of Irish whiskey out of a spray bottle set on stream, then a forkful of peat-smoked pork. It made a believer out of me!

If you don't mind sharing what was the source of your peat chips? Were you satisfied with the company?

I get my peat chips from Sneaky Pete (http://www.sneakypeat.com/). He’s pretty old-school -- you send him an email telling him what you want, then he calls you to find out what kind of equipment you have to see what size chips will work best. Nice guy, based in North Carolina. And yes, I'm satisfied with the company -- high-quality product, quick service, individual attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back