MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
smles
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default When to inject?

I am doing an overnight cool Friday night for a brisket and pork shoulder. I had planned on doing the trimming and rubs the night before just so there is less to do Friday night. Should I also inject the pork on Thursday or wait until I am about to cook?
smles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
spyre
On the road to being a farker

Skip injecting the pork, it shouldn't even need it at all.
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

If you're injecting any vinegar or some other tenderizing agent it probably wouldn't hurt to do it the night before but hold off on the rub until later as the injection will probably want to seep out and will wash it off. I do however agree with spyre that injection isn't really necessary, there's plenty of flavor in both pork shoulder and brisket due to the fat content that will render out and baste the muscle internally. Apply a good liberal coating of your favorite rub, cook them at the right temperature for the right amount of time and they will be tender, juicy and flavorful.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I'm on the other side of the aisle. Inject, inject, inject. Earlier the better IMO.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
smles
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have done it many times with no injection, just thought I would try out Chris Lilley's injection just to see the other side.
smles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Note: Chris's injection is VERY salty. IF you use his, I suggest reducing the salt to perhaps 1/4th or 1/3rd of what he calls for. ALSO, even if using this small amount, I highly suggest no injecting until 30 minutes or so before you put the meat on. Salt left on meat will make it hammy and salty, IMHO.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote