MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Default Moldy Wood

I just picked up about a quarter cord of wood, some red oak, hickory, and pecan. My problem is that there is green mold over a good portion of the logs. Is this still safe to use? Is there a good way to remove it? Most of the bark has already been removed so the mold is on the wood itself. Any help is appreciated.
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like a lot of campfire wood to me. I wouldn't use it. Just my opinion. I would def. seperate the wood that does not have the mold on it from the wood that does, mold is growing on it beacuse of moisture.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Fire is a wonderful cleanser and purifier.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Bartkowiakj
Knows what a fatty is.

I wouldnt use it -- spreading bacteria can be dangerous if low and slow or even at regular temps.
Bartkowiakj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Stevesonfire!
On the road to being a farker

If mold is actively growing on the wood, it is not yet cured and needs to age further. Mold growing on fresh cut "green" wood is natural. As the wood cures it will subside and you can use it without worry.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

The Guy I bought it from ran an add saying "Gourmet specialty wood for meat smoking". "fully seasoned hard wood also for indoor fireplaces".
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Brizz
Full Fledged Farker

If it's really moldy and water...logged then I would pitch it. If it just has some mold on it I would "preheat" (char) on top of a fire box or in a charcoal chimney, for splits I'd do it in the fire pit.
Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket View Post
The Guy I bought it from ran an add saying "Gourmet specialty wood for meat smoking". "fully seasoned hard wood also for indoor fireplaces".

LOL, sounds like the time I went and looked at a load of hickory. Guy said it was "seasoned" and would be great for BBQing. I took two looks at the pile and turned around and left. Half the pile wasn't even hickory and some pieces still had moisture oozing out from where it was cut (prolly 5 or 6 days before hand). He was basically trying to sucker someone in to buying a pile of crap wood.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartkowiakj View Post
I wouldnt use it -- spreading bacteria can be dangerous if low and slow or even at regular temps.
Mold is fungus not bacteria. Dry the wood out and the mold will dry out too.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

If you like the flavor that burnt mold introduces to your meat, then you should use it. Me personally, I would only burn it in my fireplace or campfire.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think that it depends on how moldy it is. If only a little, a preheat on top of the fire box will likey save it. If to thick or to much, it may be fire place wood only. Have any pics to give us a visual?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote