VA BBQ Used to be Sold in Texas and other States Because of Demand

Thanks, bro. BTW - Louisiana has a rich BBQ history too!

Well I sure would love a visit from the "Ghost of Louisiana BBQ Past" because "Louisiana BBQ Present" seems to be pretty much AWOL.

Now the future of Louisiana BBQ on the other hand.....

Well I sure would love a visit from the "Ghost of Louisiana BBQ Past" because "Louisiana BBQ Present" seems to be pretty much AWOL.

Now the future of Louisiana BBQ on the other hand.....

Having grown up less than 30 from Louisiana I know Louisiana turns out great BBQ too! I grew up eating Cajun style foods regularly. A lot of my family back home still makes gumbo on Christmas.......or any other day that provides a reason for good food! :mrgreen:

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hold on Bo... Are you sure they aren't talking about "Old Virginia"... cause I know a few older ladies by the name of .... :wink:

Interesting, thanks!

Having grown up less than 30 from Louisiana I know Louisiana turns out great BBQ too! I grew up eating Cajun style foods regularly. A lot of my family back home still makes gumbo on Christmas.......or any other day that provides a reason for good food! :mrgreen:

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I guess I haven't really checked out the scene in thw rest of the state, but I know that down here in the Southeast section decent Q Joints are few and far between. Even as far over as Lafayette. If you go further north there might be some I don't know about.

decent Q Joints are few and far between.

Same goes for just about anywhere, here in San Antonio, decent Q joints are hard to come by. There are a couple places I want to check out, problem is they are a 30 min. drive. I'm surprised at the amount of people that frequent crappy bbq joints... it's almost offensive.:frusty:

Boshizzle,

Are you going to write a book on VA BBQ?

I'd love to! But, I'm still short on some information that's been very difficult to dig up. I know it's out there because I have secondary references to it. I'ts just a matter of hard work to dig it. If I ever do, I will write a book.

The problem is the modern ideas of great BBQ areas. Virginia BBQ has taken a big hit in the last few decades with some of the great old time places closing up for one reason or another.

I think the real take away from the story of Virginia BBQ is the roots of BBQ history and how so much that we think came from places like NC, Memphis, Texas, etc. were actually first done in Virginia the "Mother of States."

One of my main goals is to answer Robert F. Moss's question from Barbecue: An American Institution where he asks "Whatever happened to Virginia barbecue?" I have some answers but not all of them. Just a little more work to do.

Born and raised in SE Texas, but I love all styles of BBQ. Also, with my Mom's side of the family being from Louisiana I was brought up on "Cochon de Lait" style pig roasts, which we also carried over with us to Texas and for many years was our New Years Day tradition no matter what the weather, introduced a lot of native Texans to that style of roasting a pig, splayed out between two grills, hung from an A frame in front of a open wood fire.......good stuff. In the last 10 years or so I've relied more heavily on pork for smoking and grilling, smoking pork butts for pulled pork, smoking St. Louis style ribs, and grilling chops. So no matter where styles originate and are perfected, there is always room to move them around the Country and World for all to enjoy.

Back