flavor of a stick burner

Wood has flavor compounds in it charcoal is neutral. Think of it as the difference between a Nice Bourbon and Everclear. Before it is aged in Oak Barrels the Bourbon has some flavor but the oak is what makes it. Everclear is filtered through Carbon( main ingredient in Briquettes) to remove flavors to create a truly neutral spirit, or so I'm tole.
So from this we can see that there is more flavor in all wood. where the Charcoal and Chips/Chunks only creates some based on how much wood is added to it to produce the flavor compounds.

Charcoal briquettes also have coal mixed in them. It definitely imparts a flavor, different than real wood.

ok, i just had some Q from a southern pride gas smoker. It turned out some good Q. I could not taste the gas at all. just nice wood flavor on the meat. I asked them if the wood smolders or actually catches fire. To my surprise, the wood was actually on fire in the fire box. I know that sounds odd that i asked if the wood was on fire, but i wanted to know so i could compere it to how it differs from stick burners and vertical style cookers. haha.

thanks all

The Southern Pride burns full sized logs. It only uses the gas to light them and maintain temp if the logs burn up. If will then alert the operator to add more wood. They are gas/computer assisted stick burners in a pretty stainless box. Guy Fieri calls them big boy BBQ's. :-D

The Southern Pride burns full sized logs. It only uses the gas to light them and maintain temp if the logs burn up. If will then alert the operator to add more wood. They are gas/computer assisted stick burners in a pretty stainless box. Guy Fieri calls them big boy BBQ's. :-D

I have seen you say this a few times. Yes you can use a SP or Ole Hickory like this, but most just throw a couple of logs on and let the gas do the rest.

That is why they have the bad rep. We just have to accept that people like the easy way out if they lack the passion. We are in the minority.

You just shot yourself in the foot. The prosecution rests.:tape:

The first bb-q restaurant I worked for had two huge SP's, I think they might have been 750's or maybe even the 1400 model. they were pretty much gas powered ovens that burned full sized logs outside in a separate chamber for some smoke flavor. They required no skill to operate but they turned out some fairly tasty "Q".

There is a simple answer to all these questions if you're using anything but a true stick burner. Make your own lump from well seasoned oak. Problem solved. :thumb:

Is there any way to convert a uds to a stick burner?

You'd need to build a side door that you can open and put a sheet metal chute leaning down into your fuel basket. Build a fire outside your drum somewhere, and take hot wood coals from that fire and shovel them down the chute into your drum. It would take away a lot of the set-and-forget but my guess is the taste would improve.

seattlepitboss

Back