Guru or IQ?

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I believe I've got the wife talked into letting me spring for either a BBQ Guru or a Pitmaster IQ. Looking for some direction on which way to go.

The IQ is cheaper, but I'll need multiple of those for contests, I do believe. Guru is more expensive for sure, but I can run multiple UDS's off of one unit (multiple fans I guess), so maybe that's a better idea?

Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

I use the IQUE on my UDS's and love it. I would buy it again. In fact I will buy another one for my second drum

I bought the guru for my drum. I don't like adjusting the gate on it but once you can get that figured out it works like a charm.

I just ordered a BBQGuru CyberQ WiFi, as a Christmas present for myself.

I'm kinda geeky, and it seems like a great ATC system.

Bob

I think I'm a good person for the response, since I have both. I used the Guru for 4 years. I got tired of replacing the temperature probes, they seam to be cheap , or at least they don't last long at all. The fan's for all the Guru's are very strong and durable. I have the 4 and 10 cfm. I just purchased the IQ, with high hopes, and I am really disappointed. The reason is there is no on demand blower commands. My fire would be dying, and the blower just barely going, then when the fire dies, the blower sits on full speed, to little to late. No control whatsoever.... So to be honest, both of these products are not worth buying. I'm looking into a reverse flow flue fan, I think this is the new future for BBQ.

I think I'm a good person for the response, since I have both. I used the Guru for 4 years. I got tired of replacing the temperature probes, they seam to be cheap , or at least they don't last long at all. The fan's for all the Guru's are very strong and durable. I have the 4 and 10 cfm. I just purchased the IQ, with high hopes, and I am really disappointed. The reason is there is no on demand blower commands. My fire would be dying, and the blower just barely going, then when the fire dies, the blower sits on full speed, to little to late. No control whatsoever.... So to be honest, both of these products are not worth buying. I'm looking into a reverse flow flue fan, I think this is the new future for BBQ.

Whats the flue fan? Do you have a link for that?

I just got my cyberq wifi delivered the other day, havent had a chance to use it yet.. but i was deciding between the cyberq, stoker, and the ique. I didnt care for the limited functionality of the ique. Only reason i would get the ique would be if i didnt have ( or want to spend ) alot of money on the temp controller. The cyberq and stoker are far better. If i was planning on getting several smokers, i would have went with the stoker since thats the main advantage is has is adding as many pits and fans as you want. The cyberq wifi comes with a pit probe and 3 meat probes. So for 1 smoker id def suggest the cyberq, more then 1 smoker id say the stoker..

The only thing that bothered me about the cyberq was setting it up to the internet.. took me 5 hours to get it working!!! If anyone has any issues getting the internet connection set up for it let me know, ill gladly help out getting it going.

Ive used the digiq before which id get that over the ique.

I'm buying this for comps mostly, so we'll need to run 3 fans on 3 different drums. I could get by with just two fans most of the time, but ribs sometimes go on before the butts or briskets come off.

For home use, I'll typically just do one for home use.

Noz..I agree. Took me a while too. I have an android. I understand its easier with iphones. Works great though once you grt it "talking" to you. :)

I have a Guru DigiQ and since my wife did not want to give me the CyberQ Wifi for XMas she told me to get it for myself It comes Tuesday :-D:-D:-D:-D

I have a IQ and it works as advertised. I don't use it much as I like to tend to the fire and be in total control

Never used the Guru, but I'm using an IQ on my drum.....LOVIN' it. Works great.
Having had a great drum smoker and a Kamado, ( I miss them both ) I think the IQ would have worked well on these types of cookers. They are basically self sufficient and the IQ is just enough to keep it automated. But for any other type of pit, the IQ just can not keep up with change in temp and demands of larger or less efficient pits.

Whats the flue fan? Do you have a link for that?

http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/ad1-install.php

This is just one of many examples, I'm still looking, there are many to choose from. There is a patent on the way from a BBQ company that is going to make one for BBQ, ( maybe its the Guru company ? ) and of course cost more. Sort of what the Guru did. The concept is better than the current blower system because it sucks air through your bbq. So its more efficient, dont have to worry about leaks or sealant, as the hot air is sucked and maintained in and up the flue. The blower fans ( Guru, IQ) blow air, and heat out your pit if its not perfectly sealed, this wont happen with negative draft.

Don't mount the sensor probes to a heat sink! The steel grate seems so right but is so dam wrong. A wooden skewer through a potatoe. A wooden skewer through the meat and the temp probe clipped on that. I have 2 iq controllers and once I figured that out they are wicked. Would buy them again myself an woul recommend them too.

Back