MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pots and pans

Is there a good set of pots and pans, or individuals, that are fairly inexpensive? I am looking at about a $200 budget for Christmas.
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Funny you should post this, I almost posted the same last week! I've been doing some research on this recently. One of the best reviewed sets I've seen for the money is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina...e-Set/11072505

If you google it, you find all sorts of good reviews on the set, and from a wide variety of sources. I haven't decided if I'm gonna go that route or just slowly start an All clad collection one piece at a time. Hope others with more experience chime in!
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Lodge cast iron is what you want for pans. I like stainless steel for stock pots. Once you get used to cooking in cast iron, you won't want anything else. A good quality 12" non-stick sautee pan is handy for some stuff, though.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

We (just about everybody in my family) all use Magnalite cookwear

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnalite-...040816/1603820

It's cast aluminum

We're probably all going to go crazy, because somebody, somewhere said something about cooking with aluminum will rot your brain.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

It is a good subject and I think everyone has an opinion on what they like.
When my wife and I were first married, we were gifted a set of good quality Farberware (Aluminum clad bottoms). They are nearing the end of their life span with me.
Last year, I started buying restaurant grade pots and pans for cooking at home. I like Winco stainless. Restaurant stores in my area are high on these. I bought most of mine on Ebay from a wholesaler. I think I have $50 in three saute pans 14", 10" and an 8". Locally, these were around $30 a piece. Oh, they are induction ready also.

When I worked in a restaurant, almost everything was aluminum, it works, but hard to be spotless cleaning them.

For BBQ and cooking on an open fire Lodge Cast Iron is my favorite.

I also have three large stock pots that are aluminum cast or spun. and one stainless stock pot. If you cook in salted water, aluminum will corrode and need a lot of elbow grease to clean them up. I am a "shine" fan, so I hate any discoloration.

I do have some Calphalon pieces, but they are used rarely anymore.

I like to have the right tool for the right job.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I have a few Cuisinart pieces that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond that are quite nice. They are made like the All-Clad stuff with the triple-ply bottom. They are priced nicely compared to most stuff and the quality is excellent.

On a more expensive note, I just bought a de Buyer 8" frying pan on Amazon for $40 that I love and will be buying the larger sizes. They are iron pans (not cast iron) and work very well...
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a Set of Wearever SS I got at WW a few years back it is all 18 Ga triple bottom. For 200 you can get 4 sets. I'll put them up against All-Clad any day.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
cameraman
Babbling Farker

America's Test Kitchen rates the Tramontina SS right behind All Clad. I've had a SS set by Cuisinart that I got at Sam's years ago and love it. It's very similar to Tramontina.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I'm eyeing this set : http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-881...okware-set.jsp

Found some positive reviews for an entry level set, and very Eco friendly
http://housewares.about.com/od/cookw...are-Review.htm
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is what we use for cooking classes at All Things BBQ. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/12-pc-c....ip?navAction=
Very nice set. Al Clad like at a much better price.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I have a set of Emerilware similar to this one and like it a lot. It's an imported All-Clad rebranded.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Williefb
Knows what a fatty is.

Academy Sports has some very nice cast iron cookware that's a bit less expensive than Lodge. I bought a BIG cast iron kettle for frying fish.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

"Decorate your counter tops" turned me off like a faucet. I'll stick with the better quality commercial aluminum type. Except a good cast iron skillet of course.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeFan View Post
Funny you should post this, I almost posted the same last week! I've been doing some research on this recently. One of the best reviewed sets I've seen for the money is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina...e-Set/11072505

If you google it, you find all sorts of good reviews on the set, and from a wide variety of sources. I haven't decided if I'm gonna go that route or just slowly start an All clad collection one piece at a time. Hope others with more experience chime in!
I did some research and ended up buying this set. Pretty much same quality a all clad but without the price. I'm very happy with them.
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williefb View Post
Academy Sports has some very nice cast iron cookware that's a bit less expensive than Lodge. I bought a BIG cast iron kettle for frying fish.
I bought the largest they had for making a small batch of chicken stew in. Only used it once since I bought it, but it worked good.

I already have 3 cast iron frying pans and a small and medium dutch oven.

The set at Sam's I have looked at every time I go in there, I just didn't know anything about GOOD quality stuff. I also have several Baker and Chefs frying pans of different sizes, which are ok, but nothing as a set.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am just going to let the kids "buy me" a set of the Tramontina from Sams for Christmas. Unless someone can change my mind.
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote