MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
JLEN
Got Wood.

She's Out!
JLEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
JLEN
Got Wood.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
JLEN
Got Wood.

Yes Mate!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

you're doing something wrong my friend. here is a few more "welcome to the forum" gifts:

lucky for you i'm at work(not working) and i'm kinda bored. i feel like a picture posting hero. i think i need a uniform and a cape

check out this thread if you would like help posting pics....or as the brethren call it....Pron

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19770

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
JLEN
Got Wood.

Thanks for the help Chris - Great work!

Very Tasty. Rubbed in a paprika and sugar style thing - Cooked on a UDS at temperatures ranging from 160 - 250 for about 8hrs.

Internal temperature was unobtainable due to the thermometer looking like it came in on an asteroid.

Fat side up, then fat side down, good mop every 1.5hrs.

Did't cook to the right temp in the end, leaving it still a bit tough, but let me tell you ma brethren, it tasted mega. Mega.

Consistent heat was the hitch. V2 will be better...

Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
happycamper
Got Wood.

This is the best thread I have seen in a while! Why do you have a clock on your brisket?
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLEN View Post
Thanks for the help Chris - Great work!

Very Tasty. Rubbed in a paprika and sugar style thing - Cooked on a UDS at temperatures ranging from 160 - 250 for about 8hrs.

Internal temperature was unobtainable due to the thermometer looking like it came in on an asteroid.

Fat side up, then fat side down, good mop every 1.5hrs.

Did't cook to the right temp in the end, leaving it still a bit tough, but let me tell you ma brethren, it tasted mega. Mega.

Consistent heat was the hitch. V2 will be better...
no problem, i dont mind helping. in the future, 165 degrees farenheit cooking temperature is waaaaay too low. that's like putting the brisket in the dashboard of your car in the summer. keep your cooking temp at least 225 degrees farenheit. personally i would suggest 275, but that's just me. also, if your temps you mentioned are in celcius 250 is waaay too high. just a heads up.

chris

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
Enkidu
Take a breath!

He might have meant that he put it on at 160 degrees while the UDS was coming up to temp.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #24
JLEN
Got Wood.

I meant that my temperature control was all over the place! I was aiming for between 220 and 250f

I filled the basket with briquettes and it got up to 300f. It worked it's way down when i closed 2 of the 4 lower intakes. The briquettes had pretty much burnt out within 5hrs. Luckily, I've got a wood burning stove so was able to top up with lumps of smoldering apple wood to keep the temperature up, as it was hovering around 200f.

I think the USD is built ok, so I recon it's just a bit of practice required.

The 'clock' was a temp gauge that does (did) internal meat temp and UDS temp too. My external BBQ thermometer is trapped in the post sorting office!

Thanks for all the tips and jesting everyone! Love it! This is the beginning of a very smokey, very meaty journey that can only end in glory. GLORY!

Big ups to all Brethren.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #25
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
This is the best thread I have seen in a while! Why do you have a clock on your brisket?
It is the Flavor Flav of briskets.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #26
aawa
Babbling Farker

For briskets, pork butt, and many other sorts of meats internal temperature is nothing more than a guideline and the feel of it will tell you when it is done.

For briskets you want it to probe like butter for doneness.
For pork butt, you want to wiggle the bone and if it releases it is done.
For ribs you can use the bend but done break test or the poke with toothpick test.

Meat is done when it is done. And many brethern will tell you that ;)

Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #27
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
It's the Big Ben Brisket!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #28
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
It's the Big Ben Brisket!
Hmmm...