MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Is comp Q better than it used to be?

Is the very best competion barbeque today, better quality than the very best competition barbeque from 5 and 10 years ago?

Is the average competition barbeque turn in from today better than the avergae comp Q from 5 and 10 years ago?

No agenda - just something I was wondering about today. ("Better" is clearly subjective, perhaps we can still generalize an answer.)
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Is the very best competion barbeque today, better quality than the very best competition barbeque from 5 and 10 years ago?
No. Are a higher % of teams cooking very best quality bbq? Definitely yes.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
No. Are a higher % of teams cooking very best quality bbq? Definitely yes.
I think I agree, and therefore the average is better, in my opinion.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I've got nothing concrete to base this on, so take it for what it's worth. I have a feeling that today's best BBQ would whoop the best from 10 years ago.
I also believe the average today is better than 10 years ago...
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Surprised there is not more feedback or opinion on this. I think the increased visibility of forums like this is a major reason that the learning curve of newer competitors is much shorter than it used to be.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I tend to agree with Chris. The availability of information has done a lot to level the playing field.

I think Comp BBQ has changed a lot in that time. I started cooking with a buddy in Texas and that was IBCA style, and then we branched out to KCBS. The latter was a shock at first, because the flavor profile demanded a lot more work...and yes...sauce;) We did well enough to win a KCBS contest or two and go to the Royal, and then we learned how big the pond was.

The flavor profiles and process is much more refined and involved now, than what I knew or saw 10 years ago. In some ways I think it's further from what some purists would call BBQ. That's the nature of competition, though.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I think it HAS to be better. For the reasons articulated by Jorge, but also because the prolifieration of newer and more advanced equipment, as well. If all you have to do is fill a hopper, flick a switch and walk away, you can focus more on your flavor profiles.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcmaster View Post
I think it HAS to be better. For the reasons articulated by Jorge, but also because the prolifieration of newer and more advanced equipment, as well. If all you have to do is fill a hopper, flick a switch and walk away, you can focus more on your flavor profiles.
I don't know that I can say that it's better. It's different, and it's more precise in terms of the flavor profile and process.

I'll be honest, if I was sitting at a table judging today and I got some of the old school product that WAS COOKED WELL it might stand out enough to score really well....and that's taking into consideration that each entry is judged solely on merit.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I don't know that I can say that it's better. It's different, and it's more precise in terms of the flavor profile and process.

I'll be honest, if I was sitting at a table judging today and I got some of the old school product that WAS COOKED WELL it might stand out enough to score really well....and that's taking into consideration that each entry is judged solely on merit.
I agree, but I think the word 'better' is very subjective. Better could be a more efficient use of time/material. Better could be overall quality... Maybe I should have said that Competions are BETTER (less stressed, fewer 'hiccups') using more advanced technologies...