Char siu pork

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A whole week off and all I managed to cook was this.
PB250561m.jpg

PB250564.jpg

Char siu pork from my SIL's family butcher shop that was in Los Angeles Chinatown for years. It was very tender and flavorful.

Grandpa Kwock's Char Siu
2 tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
2 tablesoons Soy Sauce (dark or regular, not light and never lite)
1.5 tablespoons Rice Wine (sha sing wine)
2.5 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon catsup
1.5 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup honey

That was a butt, de-boned and cut into strips. A tenderloin or sirloin can also be used. In fact, the daughter and son of Grandpa Kwock argue about this.

I love char siu, but have never made it at home where it turned out anything like the restaurant version.

I'm really looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks for posting it. I hope mine comes out looking like yours!

I'm probably going to use tenderloin, since that would be the easiest.

Mark

Grandpa Kwock's Char Siu
2 tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
2 tablesoons Soy Sauce (dark or regular, not light and never lite)
1.5 tablespoons Rice Wine (sha sing wine)
2.5 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon catsup
1.5 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup honey

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with Char Siu. I've got a tenderloin that I plan to cook tomorrow. Is this the marinade? How long do you let the meat marinade? Did you grill or smoke? Thanks

Ditto on not familier with Char Siu. Ate Quite a bit in San Francisco Asian restruants but never ran across it.

Looks mighty tasty Bob! Thanks for the recipe, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Ohhhhh my, that sure looks good Bob, I'll have to try that someday.... Thanx for sharing the recipe.....

Damn that looks good. Thanks for the recipe. Have done ribs similar to that but that looks awesome. Gonna have to start another recipe book after joining this site. Youpeople are amazing. I'll try to pay ya back w/ a couple of my favorites.

Okay, to answer, that recipe is for the marinade. You can soak the meat for as little as 4 hours and get decent results. I used my brothers kettle, off set coal bed, running at 350F to 375F grate temp. It is sugar heavy but, should not burn a lot. I have done low and slow on it, but, it does not get that color and char.

Char siu is also called Chinese Barbecued pork, it is commonly seen hanging in windows of Chinese delis and restaurants. It is very often used in won ton soup, chow mein etc... The family that gave me the recipe argues over the actually cut of meat that they believed was used, I have had good results with any cut that had some fat and was no more than 3" in cross section.

Back