MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 AM   #1
tom72
On the road to being a farker

Default Sunday night throwdown, Carne Crosta style! (w/Pr0n)

Well, I got my order from Oakridge a couple of days ago, and after all the talk recently about Carne Crosta, I just couldn't wait to try it out. Of course, I couldn't go easy on it, so I found something in the freezer to give it a real test.

In the blue corner, weighing in at one-pound even, we have the challenger....Carne Crosta!

Carne crosta steak a1.jpg

And in the red corner....brought out of a month-long cold sleep....weighing in at 2.99 pounds....we have the Champion....El Monstruo!

Carne crosta steak a3.jpg

The two meet in the center of the....er....styrofoam, and right away the challenger is ALL OVER the champ!

Carne crosta steak a4.jpg

I can only watch grappling for so long, so after a little over an hour of no action, I decided to light a fire under their butts. Literally. I'll just let the photos speak for themselves from here on out, because I'm not as funny as I think I am, and it's 2 in the morning, so I'm rambling.

Carne crosta steak a5.jpg

Carne crosta steak a6.jpg

Carne crosta steak a7.jpg

Carne crosta steak a8.jpg

Carne crosta steak a9.jpg

Carne crosta steak b1.jpg

And the winner is......ME! That was farking delicious!

That rub really is something special. I dislike coffee a lot, so I trusted y'all that said you don't taste coffee, and you didn't steer me wrong. Just awesome. The best part is, I came nowhere near finishing it, so I get to enjoy it all day tomorrow too! I also ordered the V.I.P. Sampler pack when I ordered the Carne Crosta, and now I can't wait to try the rest of them.

Thanks for lookin'!

Always remember that [COLOR=red][I]you[/I][/COLOR] are [COLOR=red]unique[/COLOR] and [COLOR=red]special[/COLOR], just like [COLOR=red][I]everybody else[/I][/COLOR]. :mrgreen:
tom72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Looks Dayum good Tom!

You will like the rubs.

Did you get HDD? I use it a lot as a seasoning. Love it on Deviled Eggs and on Pizza.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

Great cook, Tom!

I, too, get the VIP Sampler whenever I place an order.... there's just too much goodness in there (and plenty of variety) to miss.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

That seer and perfect edge to edge doneness...
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

I've got to order some of that!

Old 08-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
KevinJ

Looks fantastic!

Always keep Carne Crosta stocked in the seasoning/rub drawer, goes great on hamburgers too.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

That's money!

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
nsbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

That one nice looking steak! I love carne Croatia on my steaks

Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
tom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg View Post
Looks Dayum good Tom!

You will like the rubs.

Did you get HDD? I use it a lot as a seasoning. Love it on Deviled Eggs and on Pizza.

Yep....I'm actually really interested in trying that one. I've got all 10 of their regular production rubs. They're very generous sample packs too, so I'll really be able to test each of them out.

Always remember that [COLOR=red][I]you[/I][/COLOR] are [COLOR=red]unique[/COLOR] and [COLOR=red]special[/COLOR], just like [COLOR=red][I]everybody else[/I][/COLOR]. :mrgreen:

Old 08-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Great job on that steak, I need to bite the bullet and order me some Carne Crosta.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #12
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

That steak looks fantastic!

If you have the sample pack, try this next time you cook a Carne Crosta steak...

Take 2 1/2 teaspoons of the Santa Maria and add it to one stick of unsalted butter. Mix it in really well then cover and refrigerate the compound butter for later.

Season and cook your steak just like in this post, but at the very end just before it comes off the grill, add a big dollop of that Santa Maria butter to the steak. Let it melt and run over the sides then pull the steak and let it rest for at 5-10 minutes.

You can thank me later.

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

^^^^^ I should have said: Take 2 1/2 teaspoons of the Santa Maria and add it to one stick of softened unsalted butter.

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Dr. Trout Bum
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
^^^^^ I should have said: Take 2 1/2 teaspoons of the Santa Maria and add it to one stick of softened unsalted butter.

Mike,

I have largely gone Sous Vide with my steak prep. Do you recommend coating with oil before seasoning and searing?

I usually sear in a hot CI pan or on my Blackstone griddle.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #15
tom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
That steak looks fantastic!

If you have the sample pack, try this next time you cook a Carne Crosta steak...

Take 2 1/2 teaspoons of the Santa Maria and add it to one stick of unsalted butter. Mix it in really well then cover and refrigerate the compound butter for later.

Season and cook your steak just like in this post, but at the very end just before it comes off the grill, add a big dollop of that Santa Maria butter to the steak. Let it melt and run over the sides then pull the steak and let it rest for at 5-10 minutes.

You can thank me later.

Oh man, I wish I'd thought of that! I actually hit it with a big dollop of compound butter at the end, but I used the garlic & herb butter I made to baste the corn with. It was awesome like that, but now I wanna try it with the Santa Maria. Thanks!