MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
SC_Dave
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Do you have a "do it best" near you? I really have been enjoying my chef select briquettes from them. You can order 40 pound bags and have it shipped free to a do it best store near you. and if you use the code goldrush you save 10%
No, unfortunately not.
SC_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I use lump from HEB or RO lump
Lol it's gotta suck for people that don't got HEB! Everything in that store is awesome. I just snagged some dayum fine Cab choice for $.99#.
Bludawg have you tried the new central market oak lump? It's good stuff. I like the mesquite also because of the big chunks. It's the only charcoal comparable that I have found compared to the wicked good that I can't get anymore.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
SC_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I use lump from HEB or RO lump
Bludawg, what is HEB?
SC_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
jmoney7269
Banned

The best store In the world. HEB= Here Everything's Better.
HEB stands for H.E butt company and distribution. Ours has sushi bar, 200 ft long cooler of craft and name brand beer, Wine forever and almost almost every known national brand but HEB has their brand right next to it and its cheaper and better. Fresh seafood market, butcher on hand to cut anything you might want. They pick me stuff for competition all the time. I got a buddy that works there and I just text him what I need. Wonderful fresh organic produce, eye candy and this is just a fraction of what's great about it.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

FWIW I had two bags of RO briqs that would not come up to normal temps. They were the first bags I bought of the season and I tried to cook wings on my kettle. I could not even get to 300. I just chalked it up to them being on a warehouse floor or something for the winter. I have never had a problem since with the RO.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #21
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Bludawg have you tried the new central market oak lump? It's good stuff. I like the mesquite also because of the big chunks.
I love this stuff, it's my go to lump now.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
The Frog
Knows what a fatty is.

I like to run Kingsford competition in my UDS... more even, less ash, and I get higher temps than blue (for a given amount of air) or it runs great at low temps. Kingsford blue is on sale a lot more often and easier to find, so I have a bunch of it. I like the low ash level of lump, but I have ended up with variable temps so I don't trust it for long cooks or when I can't/won't babysit it.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #23
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I use briquettes for grilling, lump for smoking. I never have any trouble getting 10-12 hours out of a load of lump in most smokers. I don't like the chemical fume smell and taste from minioned briquettes.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
Monty1204
Knows what a fatty is.

Agree on the lump. I tried KBB for the first time a couple weeks ago on a butt. Couldn't keep temps up because of the ash. No issues with RO lump. I have a full bag of KBB i dont know what to do with now.
Monty1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #25
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

If you have a LOWES home improvemnt center close by, they carry Stubs all natural briquettes. I use them for competition in my Backwoods Competitor and also at home in my UDS and Kettle grill. Works well in all of them.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I use lump. There are several brands that I like, but lump and wood chunks works great in my UDS. I'm not a fan of the flavor that KBB puts on my food, otherwise it burns okay.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
No, unfortunately not.

maybe in Marion at Blanton Supplies:

http://www.doitbest.com/Main.aspx?Pa...ssociate=false

Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #28
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

I started with KBB on my WSM and had fine results but couldn't get much past 250. Since switching to various brands of lump, I can run much hotter as needed. Haven't had much problems with swinging temps with it and the minimal ash is great. Usually after loading a full bag and doing a "longer" smoke, I still have some left over. I sometimes use KBB in a pinch or if I'm too lazy to drive the extra 5 miles for lump.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #29
spyre

I got a 35lb bag of Fogo lump from amazon 3 weeks ago and have been really happy with. Have 5 or 6 cooks done with it and it's been solid for 800 degree steaks or 225 smoking. A ton of really great big chunks. And no need to drive and pick it up.

spyre is offline   Reply With Quote