MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Insulated Firebox + Guru???

Might be a lame question but I am very curious. Say you have a really well insulated Firebox, like a Jambo, would the addition of a set of Guru Fans/Controls help or be detrimental?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default yes

any cooker benifits from having a controller

Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Gurus are a dark road. its a hard habit to kick once youve gone atc even though you probably dont need one
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I know most don't NEED a guru or another form of atc but when it comes to running as efficiently as possible whether it be in a comp or just doing your normal cooks there are benefits. For me being a geek I like tracking the temps highs and lows combine with weather conditions. Granted I'm not hardcore into the geek part but modern tech makes it easy. I know in the past on other pits I've had that a Guru would have helped TONS just because the pit was cheap and not very efficient.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

I don't know about yall but on my stickburner.. i like the joy of making my fire and adjusting my fire and maintaining my fire.. Gurus, controllers take the fun out it for someone like me. LOL guess i'm old school.. but i have to admit.. on long cooks that are all night.. i gets NO SLEEP.. lol so i guess in the right situation if i had one i would use it for that..
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Gurus are a dark road. its a hard habit to kick once youve gone atc even though you probably dont need one
I go without mine from time to time

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
I don't know about yall but on my stickburner.. i like the joy of making my fire and adjusting my fire and maintaining my fire.. Gurus, controllers take the fun out it for someone like me. LOL guess i'm old school.. but i have to admit.. on long cooks that are all night.. i gets NO SLEEP.. lol so i guess in the right situation if i had one i would use it for that..
Do you care your fire by watching and touching.
Guess you do not use a thermometer either
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post

other than the ones on the grill no.. cook by feel.. and touch.. ie. bend test.. stuff like that..

Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
Im not saying there is anything wrong with using gurus or stuff like that.. just stating what i like.. and what i do.. (not trying to offend anyone) just stating what i and probly most stick burner guys like in our stickburners.. is all

Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

load up the cooker...set pit temp...go have a beer, shoot the breeze...grab 3 hours sleep..cheek pit...grab 3 hours sleep...get up get ready for the entries...GuRu all the way..Just saying..

Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

I use a guru at contests and at home when I want to get other things done. This is with a gravity cooker. When time permits, I like tending to the fire with our reverse flow pit.
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
KyleOH
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Sleep and enjoying my party are my main reasons for the guru. Starting at 3am and eating at 3pm then trying to have fun makes for good food but crappy day haha
KyleOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #13
BobM
Babbling Farker

An ATC system is a time saver and a sleep giver, insulated firebox or not.

I have 2 WSMs. I can set them up using the Minion method with my CybetQ WiFi and walk away for 10+ hours. If something goes wrong, it sets off an alarm and e-mails my phone. Pretty convenient.

I've never cooked on a stick burner like a Jambo. I don't believe you can fuel it and walk away for 10+ hours. If you have to periodically refuel it or tend the fire, it negates one of the big advantages of an ATC.

Sent from my Android phone.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 02-02-2013 at 03:57 AM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #14
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

In some areas of the country it is wise to use an atc. My thermo says its 11 deg outside and thats what we call a nice day.

Last edited by Wolverine; 11-27-2015 at 07:48 AM..
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #15
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

May God strike me dead if I ever put a guru on my Jambo or any other pit for that matter....but to each his own
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote