Help with pricing for wings

Smoke House Moe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Howdy folks.
Doing a graduation in four weeks and they wanted wings for 100 people, plus the pulled pork and sides.
Couple questions:
- how many wings = a serving? RD carries the big party wings. $9.49 for 5lb.
- what is the loss of weight when cooking?
- a good dry rub recipe? I usualy do the Chris Lilly Apricot wings, but they are requesting dry rub.
- Are fresh wings from a butcher or other source a better value?

Thanks for any help.

With the price of wings around here I've been doing drumsticks instead. More meat less cost per pound and something different. You didn't say if these were be BBQ or grilled pieces or Hot Wings. I've also never heard of serving dry wings unless I'm serving cut up chicken pieces. There are many good hot recipes you can use.

Might be time to separate the
Materials
Costs from the
Labor cost.... meat prices are running away.
Don't lock yourself in.

RD has fresh wings they come in 40lbs. boxes. You can get them already cut up or whole and you do it your self. I would figure about 10 wings pp.

This is a graduation party that will have other food also. Also you have to consider will the guest be eating at other parties that day. I would plan on 3-4 wings/person. I don't think you have to worry about weight loss on wings. Price them per wing and you will be fine. The 40# box I get generally has 250 wings in the box. That is a lot of wings for a graduation party.

How much pulled pork are you going to fix?

Howdy folks.
Doing a graduation in four weeks and they wanted wings for 100 people, plus the pulled pork and sides.
Couple questions:
- how many wings = a serving? RD carries the big party wings. $9.49 for 5lb.
- what is the loss of weight when cooking?
- a good dry rub recipe? I usualy do the Chris Lilly Apricot wings, but they are requesting dry rub.
- Are fresh wings from a butcher or other source a better value?

Thanks for any help.

5-7 wings should suffice per person....are the wings an app or main meat?

wing prep:
* separate at joints and save the tips for stock.
* rinse and pat dry wings
* season with salt, pepper, garlic pwd...paprika for color
* set on rack on baking sheet to dry over night
* i'd smoke these for an hour or so, then finish on high heat grill
* serve sauce on the side, bbq, hot sau/butter mix, blue cheese...

Pyle.
I am doing regular 1/3lb pp sandwiches.
I have not seen the boxes of wings before, but I have not checked since Smokin K's said something.

ok. So i've put some thought into this for you. I think 3-4 wings a person is more then sufficient. UNLESS there's a lot of heavy wing eaters there. So the big party wings usually run about 7-8 pieces a pound. So, right around 50lbs SHOULD be sufficient.

Here's the problem with catering when you don't have a restaurant.
What do you charge them?

For us. A 1/2 tray of wings is about 45-50 wings, and that's $50. I'm figuring $2/lb cost for wings and rub. Roughly 6-7lbs of wings. Throw in some sauce, and the aluminum tin and you're right around $20 in your own cost. At 4 wings a person, that 1/2 tray should feed between 10-12 people.

If it were my customer, and they wanted to be damn sure everyone got wings who wanted them. with a 100 people, i'd suggest 5 full tray of wings. However, after doing catering in both BBQ and regular restaurants for plenty of years, unless it's a Super Bowl, or major sporting event, those people are going to have at least a 1/2 tray of leftovers.

There is cooking loss, but bones and meat still take up space.

My next question....how are you cooking all of this?

Going by your signature, unless you've bumped up your capacity, you're going to be tight on space.

100 servings of pork. 1/3lb servings, 35lbs cooked product to err on the safe side. I wouldn't start out cooking less than 65-70lbs of pork. that's right around what cases are coming in at if they're bone in, in cryo. so you're looking at cooking 8 butts and 50lbs of wings, which take up A LOT of space.

Are people serving themselves?
Are pork and chicken wings their only protein options?
If you don't mind me asking, what are you charging them.

I run a busy bbq restaurant on long island. I would charge this as a per person basis.
Clearly spelled out what they get included with that price.
Pulled pork, wings, sides. At least $15 a person if i'm providing chafing dishes, etc.
good luck

Thanks Early Morn'
Great info man.

Know how I can update my signature, cause I cook with a Pitmaker Vault? Space should be covered.

Right now we are up to $1305.00
PP Sammie's 1/3lb, and two sides (for 75)
Wings 3 pp (for 100)
Candied bacon 200 pieces
Paper and plasticware
We will serve the guests.

I know someone will mention it; Yes, I advised the customer to not separate foods for certain groups of guests, but they insist. There will be a table with wings for random highschoolers. The PP and sides are for the invited guests.
Not the ideal setup.

smokehouse, you should be alright space wise. But it's gonna be tight. 50lbs of wings will prob take up the whole cooker, and you can cook the candied bacon in stages throughout the pork cook, i'd recommend keeping the butts on the bottom shelf so the drippings don't nasty up the candied bacon.

pricewise, i'd bump it up to at least 15 a person, maybe even 17 with the candied bacon.

good luck!

Party went well, outside of the beans.
I prepped the beans and refridgerated them. Took way too long for them to heat up.

Wings were a hit. Pro tip: cooking candied bacon above wings adds an amazing flavor. Try it.

I am still working on my timing with everything. Catering is a work in progress.

Back