The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
razorbrewer
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr LowNSlow View Post
Ok, not pushback but I'm not quite getting why this would be useful for steaks - why not just grill them? I can certainly understand sous vide for food that takes a long time to cook, even traditional smoker food like brisket, etc.
Internal temp precision from crust to crust. In other words, cooked exactly like you like it with minimal grey band. If steak doesn't turn you on to sous vide, then it probably isn't for you. Not that there's anything wrong with that since you can cook one fine steak over charcoal, gas, etc.
razorbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #17
TravelingJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

Yes, what Razor said. I also like it from a timing perspective if I have people over. There is quite the range of time that they can be in there, and it gives me a window for people who can't ever make it on time.
TravelingJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
BillATL
Full Fledged Farker

Razorbrewer and TravelingJ are on top of it.

I don't cook steaks often enough to be able to eyeball them and I don't like poking them with a thermometer to temp them. With the sous vide steaks are perfect every time with no stress. As long as they're in the water long enough to come to equilibrium temperature, timing isn't an issue - leave them in for an hour or two longer than you planned is no big deal. Pull them, let them cool a bit then onto a scorching hot fire or cast iron pan for a sear and you're ready to eat.

Sure you can reverse sear them, but they'll always be cooked more on the outside than the inside and you've got to be right on with the timing. With the current cost of great beef, i like knowing I can't screw it up.
BillATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #19
Anthodavis
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Anthony

Quote:
Ok, not pushback but I'm not quite getting why this would be useful for steaks - why not just grill them? I can certainly understand sous vide for food that takes a long time to cook, even traditional smoker food like brisket, etc.
Well for me personally it was the most tender juicy steak I’ve ever made at home . All our beef is home grown and tends to be very lean. I’m sold on this method for steaks for sure.
Anthodavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #20
EdF
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeM1x View Post
Glad you liked it! It's a nice tool to have. My 72 hour short ribs are finishing tonight.
Now that's a meal!

Wait until he turns a chuck roast into a virtual prime rib roast.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #21
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

And im out 50 bucks....
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #22
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdF View Post
Now that's a meal!

Wait until he turns a chuck roast into a virtual prime rib roast.
Yup! He should do a chuckie next and some chicken breasts.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #23
azken
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the info..my interest is really piqued now
azken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 AM   #24
Cibelo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Allan
Smile

Put two or three in at 145 for an hour. Reset the temp to 130 and throw in a handful of ice to drop the temp and then cook the rest for an hour at 130. The steaks cooked at 145 hold with out cooking any more. Sear all at the same time.
Cibelo
Cibelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #25
hammb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibelo View Post
Put two or three in at 145 for an hour. Reset the temp to 130 and throw in a handful of ice to drop the temp and then cook the rest for an hour at 130. The steaks cooked at 145 hold with out cooking any more. Sear all at the same time.
Cibelo
Interesting technique, I may have to try that!

My lone issue with sous vide steak has been that my wife prefers her more medium to my medium rare. She'll eat it medium rare, so that's what we do, but I know she'd be happier if it were cooked a bit more. Thanks for the tip!
hammb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #26
Mr LowNSlow
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthodavis View Post
Well for me personally it was the most tender juicy steak I’ve ever made at home . All our beef is home grown and tends to be very lean. I’m sold on this method for steaks for sure.
Now that I think about it, this sounds like it could work well for prime rib, where you really don't care about a crust.
Mr LowNSlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #27
ncmoose
Take a breath!

I'm back and forth on the benefit with steak vs sous vide vs reverse sear. For chicken and especially pork chops, I love the pasteurization aspect where if you cook it lower than 160 for a long enough time, it achieves the goal of 160 without drying it out. A pork chop at 145 for an hour or two and then pan seared--almost makes me forget steak.
ncmoose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #28
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I somewhat agree in terms of good steak cuts, but where SV really shines is cheap cuts of meats cooked for long periods of time at very low temps. But what i like to do even with good quality cuts is to throw them directly on a charcoal chimney for 1 min per side to get an insane grill marks char on them, then right into the SV for a few hours for med rare. This gives me time to make any other sides like baked potato, or maybe i already have some ribs on the smoker and they are not done yet. Its a great way to have everything perfectly cooked and ready when you want to eat.
WareZdaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #29
m-fine
is One Chatty Farker

You are doing it backwards. SV first, then dry it off and sear to finish. You can serve it still sizzling and crisp.

The advantage of SV on a good steak goes up with thickness. You can get it perfectly done edge to edge with no gradient or over cooked edges. Slow cook indirect followed by a reverse sear can come close but it is harder and not as consistent.

Pork tenderloin is a great example of where SV shines. It is a fast cook meat but it is difficult to cook enough to be safe and yet not over cook. SV it to a medium rare and it is safe but tender and juicy. I have never had grilled or baked or any combination that comes close to SV and seared.