MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Anthodavis
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Anthony
Default First Sous vida cook

After reading for months about how great everyone raves about Sous vida for steaks I had to have one. Not knowing if it would get used a lot I opted for a cheaper Sams club (Chinese) model.
Got a freezer full of home grown beef from this past fall and I’ve started my maiden voyage .
4 t-bone for the family tonight. Cooking at 140 . Wife won’t let the kids eat anything less than medium even thought the beef is raised on the farm here.
So all will be medium . Been in the pot for about 3 hours , got a bed of KBB hot and ready in the Weber kettle for the sear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BF6F7EAE-4849-40C6-8656-6B92D89087E7.jpg (81.6 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 5498ADBB-FC77-4BD2-85F5-58B4F4EDA029.jpg (65.2 KB, 294 views)
Anthodavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Anthodavis
Got Wood.

Wife didn’t trust it in the house . She wast so fond of electricity and water mixed with Chinese engineering. So it’s in the canning pot in the garage for now.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
Anthodavis
Got Wood.

The little Chinese wonder came to temp pretty quick. It’s so quite I wasn’t sure it was working.
Longevity for the machine will be the true test but for now I’m happy with saving a little money . If it’s a high here like like it is for so many others I will get something better when it wears out
If simple to use. Plugged it in and it flashes the temp , turn the top left or right to set where you want it and push the on button. Then the time comes up, again turn the top until the set time and push the on button.
From there it starts up.
No fancy Bluetooth or WiFi like the more expensive models
Got it on sale for $49 .

Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
pigville porkers
is one Smokin' Farker

Will be the best steak ever.... Other than the Medium part

Old 05-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
razorbrewer
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I think your temp is a little high for medium. Google "sous vide time and temp chart" and the first link will take you to a chart that I use regularly. It recs 136 degrees at 1 hour for medium. What you need to account for is that you're going to need to finish the meat either on a hot grill or in a hot skillet (my preferred method) so you will bring the internal temp up a little or a lot after the water bath, depending on how that process goes. I find a super hot skillet (cast iron or heavy stainless) + clarified butter or oil and flipping often will put a nice crust on your steak quickly, minimizing the grey band beneath the crust. Which is kinda the whole point of sous vide anyway.
razorbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Anthodavis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbrewer View Post
I think your temp is a little high for medium. Google "sous vide time and temp chart" and the first link will take you to a chart that I use regularly. It recs 136 degrees at 1 hour for medium. What you need to account for is that you're going to need to finish the meat either on a hot grill or in a hot skillet (my preferred method) so you will bring the internal temp up a little or a lot after the water bath, depending on how that process goes. I find a super hot skillet (cast iron or heavy stainless) + clarified butter or oil and flipping often will put a nice crust on your steak quickly, minimizing the grey band beneath the crust. Which is kinda the whole point of sous vide anyway.
Went by the book tha came with the thing.
I need to do some research about cooking times before wasting good beef but I want ed to try it out.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
razorbrewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthodavis View Post
Went by the book tha came with the thing.
I need to do some research about cooking times before wasting good beef but I want ed to try it out.
Hey I understand. But the chart I'm recommending is put together by chefs with a very thorough understanding of the science behind sous vide. The time guidelines are for texture and I always start with what they rec as optimal, and tweak it to my tastes from there. It's also the best damn way reheat leftover Q!

Last edited by razorbrewer; 05-15-2018 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
Anthodavis
Got Wood.

So the result.
The beef we raise tends to be very lean. Have yet until today been able to cook a tender steak from it.
Today’s was tender beyond belief, juicy, and very beefy tasting.
Everyone here is so use to dales seasoning that there was some complaining about it not being salty enough. Dales is a must when grilling the steaks do to dryness. I lightly sprinkled the steak with salt and pepper prior to sealing in the bag.
Anyone use any other seasoning ??
Any way I’m sold !! Best steak I’ve cooked at home in awhile. Chinese Sous vida preformed well. The small of the four steak was a little over cooked. Thanks for the advise on lower temps there will be a learning curve for sure.
I love this forum for this very reason. Never heard of this type of cooking before finding it on here . Appreciate everyone who ever posted on Sous vida
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 328BF22A-80F0-479C-BE46-EB1672574D43.jpg (67.8 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg D8E26F27-D882-4670-934F-162C40CA96EB.jpg (84.4 KB, 262 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #9
m-fine
is One Chatty Farker

Tell the wife, anything at 130 or above for long enough sous vide is pasteurized and as safe as well done.

That works for poultry as well but you probably wont like the texture below 140 if not 145.

If she doesn’t believe you, there are academic sources where real scientists test and measure for you.

For example...
https://meathaccp.wisc.edu/validatio...%20Poultry.pdf

Old 05-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
TravelingJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

One of my favorite parts of this board, is how everyone is mostly interested in good food. Sure we all love grills and smokers-but Sous Vide is so far in the opposite direction from those...and there isn't any pushback on them.

Hope you continue to enjoy the new tool!
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
locosmoke

I love my joule it gets plenty of use at lower temp lol. Glad it worked out for u!!

Old 05-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Did it win over your wife? Maybe she will let you play with it indoors next time
Masterbuilt ThermoTemp
Weber Q2200
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #13
razorbrewer

"Sous vida" has now put "Livin' Sous Vida Loca" into my head this morning on repeat.

Last edited by razorbrewer; 05-16-2018 at 08:55 AM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #14
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Glad you liked it! It's a nice tool to have. My 72 hour short ribs are finishing tonight.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #15
Mr LowNSlow
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
One of my favorite parts of this board, is how everyone is mostly interested in good food. Sure we all love grills and smokers-but Sous Vide is so far in the opposite direction from those...and there isn't any pushback on them.

Hope you continue to enjoy the new tool!
Ok, not pushback but I'm not quite getting why this would be useful for steaks - why not just grill them? I can certainly understand sous vide for food that takes a long time to cook, even traditional smoker food like brisket, etc.
Mr LowNSlow is offline   Reply With Quote