MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #16
LloydQ
is One Chatty Farker

My vote would go to the WSM. Loads of capacity, 6 butts or 4 briskets, and just as easy as falling off a log. As mentioned before, once it is dialed in, it will stay that way for hours and hours. You can spend an extra $50 and get a Gateway rib hanging kit and you have a very versatile tool for $450. No electricity required!
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #17
qnbiker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

I have a WSM, my buddy has a pellet pooper. I thought about buying a cheap one when Walmart had them on sale, but wouldn't trade my WSM. AS LloydQ said, once it's dialed in, it's pretty much autopilot. I've done plenty of overnights with it, and it will keep smoking when the electricity goes out.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #18
Ralphanator
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

It seem to me your more interested in Eating BBQ that learning about making BBQ. If that is the case get a pellet smoker No Muss no Fuss Set it and forget.
Ralphanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #19
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphanator View Post
It seem to me your more interested in Eating BBQ that learning about making BBQ. If that is the case get a pellet smoker No Muss no Fuss Set it and forget.

Actually I’ve been BBQing for years. All the standard steaks, burgers, wings, etc. Have done good short (4-8 hour) smokes on the kettle lots of times.
I’ve done ribs and butts, chicken, tenders loins, etc. Even a couple good sized prime rib roasts.

Looking to get into some longer cooks, but checking out options.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 05-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #20
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

My WSM is what I learned to BBQ on. Think kettle with a longer burn, what I thought was more stable temps (YMMV), very efficient, and more space (two 22" grates). For day time cooks, it was set it up, fire it up, 20 - 30 mins to get stable, meat on, forget about it. For longer or overnight cooks, I bought a Pitmaster IQ-120. Between that and a Maverick, I was able to get some sleep, check on it every 2 or 3 hours. Ran it over 20 hours without needing to reload. Briskets, then ribs, then fatty's and chicken.

Worth every penny...

Link to mods I did to mine in my signature. None required, just made it more stable to my liking.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #21
KevinJ
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewookie View Post
Actually I’ve been BBQing for years. All the standard steaks, burgers, wings, etc. Have done good short (4-8 hour) smokes on the kettle lots of times.
I’ve done ribs and butts, chicken, tenders loins, etc. Even a couple good sized prime rib roasts.

Looking to get into some longer cooks, but checking out options.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you really like the results you are getting from the kettle go WSM, if not then maybe a PG would be your best choice.
Weber Go-Anywhere

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #22
IrishStout
Knows what a fatty is.

I've got Weber kettles, 18.5WSM, and Rec Tec Pellet. Pellet does ok for smoke flavor but nothing near the Weber. The WSM alone without a fan and controller can run unattended overnight once you dial it in at the beginning of the cook. I'd go for the WSM. If you decide to go pellet then give Rec Tec a very serious look. Good product and better support.
IrishStout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #23
70monte
Full Fledged Farker

My first dedicated smoker was the WSM and I cooked a lot of good food on it including one overnight cook. It was pretty stable once you got the vents set.

I then bought a used PBC on CL and never used any of my three WSM's again and sold them all last year. I prefer the PBC over the WSM but that is just me. I don't have a pellet grill so I can't comment there other than to say that all of my friends that have them, love them so I guess they can't be too bad.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #24
jermoQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I have a Pit Boss, it makes very good Q. I just smoked a couple o butts for my wife's office. They were delicious. I like mine for smoking anything. Pork chops, pork steaks, ribs, pastrami, fatties, chicken, meatloaf, stuffed burgers, meatballs, potato skins, bacon wrapped tator tots, jalapenos, pizza, all kinds of vegies and other things. Since you have a Weber, you can sear with it. That is not where my Pitboss shines, but the newer ones have a searing area. I would say you will be very happy with a pellet grill.

Also, since you are already familiar, with charcoal, a UDS is an entry level to professional way to go and I enjoy that even more than the pellets. WSM would also be a great option but I don't have one
No name stick burning cabinet
UDS
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #25
mrp116
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a WSM, a pellet cooker (Camp Chef DLX), and a Performer. The pellet cooker fills a niche between the two and is great for its convenience. However, if I had to get rid of one it would be the pellet grill, and I really like the pellet grill for what it offers. The simple truth is that the WSM is a much better "smoker" than an entry level pellet smoker. If what you want is a true smoker, get the WSM and a dual probe wireless therm. (run your wires down through the holes in the lid) you will not be disappointed. I say get the WSM for smoking, use the kettle for grilling, and look to add the pellet grill in the future.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 09:35 PM   #26
tom b
Babbling Farker

A pellet grill is the easiest most convenient way to cook and you can cook anything on it you would cook in a oven, smoker or grill. we have cooked bread, pie, cake, pizza, casseroles, lasagna and a lot more. We hardly ever use our oven anymore. We have a lot of cookers but will never be without a pellet grill! You can do a lot with the kettle that the WSM will do. Just my .02
Traeger Timberline 1300, Built in Santa Maria Pit, Weber Performer Deluxe 22 w/CB Rotisserie, Blackstone Pizza Oven, Bayou Classic 36" offset, WGA, Smokey Joe, Akorn Jr., Wood Fire Barrel Rotisserie cooker
tom b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #27
dshaffes
Got Wood.

I own a both a pellet grill (Traeger Pro 22) and a WSM 22" as well as a BGE and numerous kettles and love cooking on all of them. On my comp team we use Humphrey cabinet smokers and a custom stick burner. Here's my thoughts:

- WSM will meet your needs for set and forget. It will dial in at 250 and stay there for 10-12 hours. It's got huge capacity, but can be a pain to manage the 2 shelves with a lot of meat on them. Also, the water pan creates a mess and a lot of people don't like it. You will also want to do a few mods to the smoker so count on some extra money for that. I recently purchased the Hunsaker Vortex plate that sits on top of the charcoal ring and I no longer need to use the water pan. This mod makes it cook more like a UDS, but with the advantages of the WSM like door access and 2 shelves. Overall, the WSM is an excellent smoker.

- Pellet grills are great! They are easy to use and are truly set and forget like an indoor oven. The food on mine comes out consistently really good every time. However, as others have stated, there is significantly less smoke flavor but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There is some work involved in cleaning, but it's not much more than using a shop vac to clean out ash, and using foil to cover the drip tray. Unlike charcoal smokers, there is a potential for flameouts in a pellet grill and tunneling in your hopper during long cooks. However, this has been very rare for me.

I love both my Traeger and WSM, so my recommendation is to get both!
dshaffes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #28
locosmoke
On the road to being a farker

my .02 never had a pellet smoker or wsm. i have had a lot of experience with pit barrel over the last year it almost feels like cheating compared to my first stick burner (old counrty pecos which is now my wife planter) but have had really good success with it. i have also had an akorn and akorn jr which required a bit more attention then the pbc and a smoking stone (extra $) to do long cooks. my preference was stick burner but for what you are saying u want I would do pbc uds or try the wsm as it can't be too different. I have eaten off electric smokers as said not flavor I'm used to they were good but never made me say wow! Cabinet would be a good option but they get pricey.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #29
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

After cooking on a UDS for the last several years I bought a GMG Daniel Boone just before Thanksgiving. It made decent food. The nice thing about it was how easy it was to startup and get to the desired temp.

One thing I found was that cleanup seemed a lot more involved though. Seems like I was vacuuming it out and scrubbing the racks and heat deflector to get the burnt fat drippings off far more than i wanted to.

I sold mine because it just wasn't the taste I was looking for.

If I were to choose today between a pellet grill or a WSM I would definitely go with a WSM.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Blackstone 24
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #30
aks801
is one Smokin' Farker

I am biased: I have a Weber kettle and the 22 WSM. Previous smokers were a COS (which I just didn't know how to use) and an El Cheapo Brinkmann (what a horrible piece of equipment).

I LOVE the WSM. It requires very little tending and turns out great bbq. A great value, looking at the price point.

Just not sold on pellet grills/smokers, but have never owned one.
"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true"
aks801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->