MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: How do you like your steaks cooked?
Well done 3 1.40%
Medium Well 4 1.86%
Medium 33 15.35%
Medium Rare 152 70.70%
Rare 23 10.70%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #16
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

medium to medium well. I dont like the taste of raw meat

Old 05-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #17
Lomey
Full Fledged Farker

I'm with Smoke Ninja. Medium rare, but won't turn away rare.
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2018, 12:04 AM   #18
Demosthenes9
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
I like it well done. I don't really care much for steak. Brisket and pork butt. Love bbq chicken the most.

Just never cared for steak that much. I just never saw the thrill in steak. I think maybe twice I have cooked steak. I thought about cooking in an SCA cook off but my heart is not in it.

There is more flavor and joy in a pork chop than a steak. I wish I enjoyed it but I just don't.

OMG, no, no, no, no and no. There is absolutely no way that a basically bland meat like a pork chop has more inherent flavor than a steak. Now, I accept that it might be a flavor that some don't like, but it's flavorful nonetheless. To each their own, but when you cook a steak to well done and force all the juices out of it, most of that delicious flavor goes with it.

If you are adventurous, try this. Get a small ribeye or strip, cook it to Medium well and try it. Then next time, cook it just a little less and try it at Medium. if you don't like it, that's cool, some just don't like the taste of beef. But you owe it to yourself to try
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2018, 01:02 AM   #19
Badjak
Full Fledged Farker

Rare...
As they say here: A good vet should still be able to safe it ;)

Some cuts I prefer rare to medium rare

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #20
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
OMG, no, no, no, no and no. There is absolutely no way that a basically bland meat like a pork chop has more inherent flavor than a steak. Now, I accept that it might be a flavor that some don't like, but it's flavorful nonetheless. To each their own, but when you cook a steak to well done and force all the juices out of it, most of that delicious flavor goes with it.

If you are adventurous, try this. Get a small ribeye or strip, cook it to Medium well and try it. Then next time, cook it just a little less and try it at Medium. if you don't like it, that's cool, some just don't like the taste of beef. But you owe it to yourself to try
Pork chop bland? You must have had it the way my mom cooked it growing up. Chewy and dry as fark. Pork chop beats a steak every time. If its done right.
Best ones come off the Weber Go Anywhere. I have plenty of bland pork chops that were poorly cooked but done right it beats steak.

I have had steak cooked at SCA events. I have had them cooked by people telling me how steak is amazing. There is nothing special about steak. Except a black nugget marinaded steak now that fixes up a steak nicely. Gives it some wow factor. There is nothing wow about a steak. Its just bland and boring. Seems to me its over rated.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 01:25 AM   #21
R.C. Dubs
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotech11 View Post
Like this
that looks perfect

Old 05-14-2018, 01:46 AM   #22
Demosthenes9
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Pork chop bland? You must have had it the way my mom cooked it growing up. Chewy and dry as fark. Pork chop beats a steak every time. If its done right.
Best ones come off the Weber Go Anywhere. I have plenty of bland pork chops that were poorly cooked but done right it beats steak.

I have had steak cooked at SCA events. I have had them cooked by people telling me how steak is amazing. There is nothing special about steak. Except a black nugget marinaded steak now that fixes up a steak nicely. Gives it some wow factor. There is nothing wow about a steak. Its just bland and boring. Seems to me its over rated.

ok, if you say so.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #23
m-fine
is One Chatty Farker

Pork chops are relatively bland compared to other parts of the same pig. Compared to beef? No contest. And I am a pork lover.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #24
BBQ Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

Medium rare here. Worked with a guy that liked it blue rare which to me is 1 step away from it walking in the pasture!
thecanuckfoodie.wordpress.com/
BBQ Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #25
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

depends on the cut. mostly i'm a medium to medium-rare. when I'm out to eat medium is the safest, at home I cook to what ever I happen to feel like that moment.

WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #26
Beer/Meat/Victory
On the road to being a farker

Medium-rare as well. However - Ill eat it almost any way it's cooked, although I'd probably cry a little while chewing through a well done steak. If I was paying high dollar restaurant prices I'd send anything beyond medium back. Oh yeah and Beef > Pork every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Beer/Meat/Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #27
Battleborn
Knows what a fatty is.

I voted med rare and that's what I order out. What I'm really after is more about texture, I want it to just go firm no matter the color. Venison, elk or well aged beef can get firm at very rare. I like to keep them juicy but no jelly texture.
Battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #28
ak56
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm another one who voted medium rare, but wouldn't turn down a rare.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #29
SmokinJohn
is Blowin Smoke!

If it has a chance of getting back up if you hit it with an AED, serve it up.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #30
jakel
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote