MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #16
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check out the home made version.

https://www.thriftydiydiva.com/copyc...-sauce-recipe/

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #17
minAL
Knows what a fatty is.

i like it on fried porkchops
minAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #18
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by WareZdaBeef View Post
This is 50% right. A1 would never be a thing if it wasn't for over cooked well done steaks.
let me guess do you like your steak raw(rare)?

cos that statement is 100% right

Old 05-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #19
jasonjax
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Aaron Franklin uses it as his brisket rub.
Cheeky comment or does he actually use A1 as a slather?
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #20
Nuco59
is One Chatty Farker

The cheeky response is "it's for overcooked steak"

I'm not crazy about using it on steak (any steak) but have used it for burgers and meatloaf to good effect.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #21
jasonjax
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
The cheeky response is "it's for overcooked steak"

I'm not crazy about using it on steak (any steak) but have used it for burgers and meatloaf to good effect.
I could actually see using it on brisket in place of oil/mustard as a slather for the rub. I think I'm actually going to try this for grins some time now, but my comment was because we spend so much time poking fun at what Aaron Franklin does and doesn't use to produce his famous brisket.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #22
IamMadMan

While I do not use A1 sauce, I do sometimes use HP sauce, but never on steaks. As indicated above, it's great when slathered on roasts and meatloaf before cooking. A nice topping to burgers and even when used in a glaze for chicken.

A1 sauce has it's roots from the British brown Sauce of of the 1800's. The most popular of these is the famed HP sauce of the British Isles. While A1 may not be exactly the same, they do share a lot of common ingredients.

Some even claim that the the English Brown Sauce was a starting point for the addition of BBQ Sauce to the culinary world.

I like the ideas above for using it on grilled vegetables, soon to try this idea the next time I grill. Thanks for sharing the ideas....
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #23
Tioga
Knows what a fatty is.

I use A1 on my french fries. I like it way better than ketchup or malt vinegar.
Tioga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #24
dadsr4

There is a bottle on the door of the frig. Where it came from, I have no idea. Does it go bad?

Old 05-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #25
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I like it on Burgers, roasts, baked potatoes, roasted taters.

A1 is awesome. I like it best on burgers, but also occasionally on steaks. Perfect for meatloaf as a glaze or a dipper. Smitty's post post reminded me that I also love it on baked potatoes . . . been a long time.

It's a complicated classic sauce for a reason, it's just goooood. Best when used at room temp.

There was a gal on the food network some years ago I believe named Amy that did a homemade version of a steak sauce similar to A1. Big fat expensive steak for her hubby's birthday and and a bunch of sauce for it.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #26
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

I have not had A1 in over 40 years. I used to put it on baked potatoes to save calories in lieu of butter/sour cream if salsa was not available. Now days I just use butter and sour cream.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #27
locosmoke
On the road to being a farker

as a child i ate it on everything! except steak lol. fried chicken, potatoes anyway made it was my ketchup really lol. have not used it in a while but this post brings me back.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #28
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I like it on chickenfried steak sandwiches. Burgers and meatloaf too.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #29
morgan-que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Morgan

A-1 is for guests!!

Old 05-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #30
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
While I do not use A1 sauce, I do sometimes use HP sauce, but never on steaks. As indicated above, it's great when slathered on roasts and meatloaf before cooking. A nice topping to burgers and even when used in a glaze for chicken.

A1 sauce has it's roots from the British brown Sauce of of the 1800's. The most popular of these is the famed HP sauce of the British Isles. While A1 may not be exactly the same, they do share a lot of common ingredients.

Some even claim that the the English Brown Sauce was a starting point for the addition of BBQ Sauce to the culinary world.

I like the ideas above for using it on grilled vegetables, soon to try this idea the next time I grill. Thanks for sharing the ideas....

I believe these came about due to interest in all things India at the time. Tamarind is a common ingredient in Indian cooking and HP sauce is tamarind based, along with Worcestersauce and A1. I enjoy tamarind chutney, for instance, on samosas (which can be rather bland without the dipping sauce or chutney). I expect when these became popular people starting putting the sauce on everything British to spice it up and companies started making their own sauces. I wouldn't put A1 on a steak, but I'd consider using it like any other sauce, on a hamburger, for instance. If I'm out of chutney, I'd use it to dip samosas or French fries in.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote