The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #31
Steve S
Full Fledged Farker

Agreed with above comments about the WSM. If budget is a concern, you can build a UDS for less than half the cost of a large WSM. I use both, but the WSM is my go to.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #32
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
The WSM is going to give you pretty much the same flavor as your kettle, operates pretty much the same too. Basically just more room.
////
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36d5a7660ef78b6e0f11fcdc55622d7a.jpg (39.0 KB, 71 views)

Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #33
TravelingJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
My suggestion would be, if you have a buddy with a grill, similar to what you are looking at, tell him you will buy the meat, and beer, if you can be pitmaster for the day. Try it out, and see what you think.
I think this is the best suggestion. Give it a shot and see what you think, before you spend the money.
TravelingJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #34
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the info guys. You bring up some great points.

For instance, I hadn’t even considered a power outage or interruption being an issue, and that’s not uncommon around here.

Also, the fairly short learning curve, since I’ve been cooking and smoking on a kettle for years now.

Something else that crossed my mind is the added expense and trouble of maintaining two different fuel types.

Looks like I’m back to a WSM... Now I gotta decide 18 or 22... Hmmmm.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 05-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #35
Steve S
Full Fledged Farker

Definitely the 22.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #36
LloydQ
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely the 22. What's $100 over a 15 year period?
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #37
Frank Mahovlich
Full Fledged Farker

For a frame of reference, I used my WSM 22 to feed 75 people at one sitting last summer. Cooked two whole packer briskets (one on each shelf), then put them in a cooler to rest. Then cranked out 16 racks of spares (8 on each shelf using racks). By the time the spares were done (about 5 hours) the briskets had sufficiently rested and all food was served at the same time. Still kinda blows me away today I put out that much Q with only a single WSM.

Not that I feed that many very often, but it's nice to know I can if the need arises.
Frank Mahovlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #38
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mahovlich View Post
For a frame of reference, I used my WSM 22 to feed 75 people at one sitting last summer. Cooked two whole packer briskets (one on each shelf), then put them in a cooler to rest. Then cranked out 16 racks of spares (8 on each shelf using racks). By the time the spares were done (about 5 hours) the briskets had sufficiently rested and all food was served at the same time. Still kinda blows me away today I put out that much Q with only a single WSM.

Not that I feed that many very often, but it's nice to know I can if the need arises.

I doubt I’ll ever approach that, but I figure the bigger top rack would be nice to avoid doubling up.

Also I reckon a couple disposable drip pans could be placed on the bottom rack to cut down on the mess for smaller cooks.

I hear the larger volume aids in temp control, etc. Any truth in that?

VR,
Harold

Old 05-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #39
m-fine
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely the 22 and not just for large volume cooks. The 18 is too small for a single large brisket and other long cuts.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #40
aerotech11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ric

22” for sure. Will fit just about anything you would ever want to cook. Look around on Craigslist or whatever you have in your area. I found an almost brand new 22 for $120. Great deal for a great smoker.
Highly modified Brinkmann smoke n pit pro POS horizontal stick burner
PGS K40 Gasser
Pit Boss 24” Kamado
Cajun bandit rotisserie 22.5”
S/S vortex
Kettle pizza oven
aerotech11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #41
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

A WSM with an ATC...Heck without an ATC can run 16 hours with a full coal ring. The only way I do Brisket or Butts now is overnight but I'm lazy.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #42
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
Definitely the 22 and not just for large volume cooks. The 18 is too small for a single large brisket and other long cuts.

Not true my Friend. I've done many 20+ lb briskets on the 18. Ribs and not a problem either.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #43
Frank Mahovlich
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewookie View Post
I doubt I’ll ever approach that, but I figure the bigger top rack would be nice to avoid doubling up.

Also I reckon a couple disposable drip pans could be placed on the bottom rack to cut down on the mess for smaller cooks.

I hear the larger volume aids in temp control, etc. Any truth in that?

VR,
Harold

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'larger volume aids in temp control.' Using the Minion method, if I pour 15 grayed-over lit briquettes over a a basket of unlit, with each bottom vent open about 33%, & the top vent wide open, my WSM will chug at 280 for several hours on end. That's a temp I can cook just about anything at. Would have saved myself some anguish early on by not wrestling with temps 20 or 30 degrees either way.

My advice to anyone with a WSM would be to note how you light/start your WSM, and adjust accordingly until it runs how you want it to. Once you get that dialed in, it's Steady Eddie.
Frank Mahovlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #44
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Just a quick smoker question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mahovlich View Post
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'larger volume aids in temp control.' Using the Minion method, if I pour 15 grayed-over lit briquettes over a a basket of unlit, with each bottom vent open about 33%, & the top vent wide open, my WSM will chug at 280 for several hours on end. That's a temp I can cook just about anything at. Would have saved myself some anguish early on by not wrestling with temps 20 or 30 degrees either way.

My advice to anyone with a WSM would be to note how you light/start your WSM, and adjust accordingly until it runs how you want it to. Once you get that dialed in, it's Steady Eddie.

What I meant was that I’ve read somewhere that the larger internal space of the 22” aids in controlling temp fluctuations regardless of how much meat is on it. I guess because of the larger space to absorb fire fluctuations.

I was just inquiring if anyone else had heard of or experience this. I don’t know nearly enough about thermodynamics to form an opinion...

VR,
Harold

Old 05-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #45
jasonjax
is Blowin Smoke!

I went from the 18 to the 22 and I was amazed how much more charcoal I consumed so it was annoying for smaller cooks.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote