MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #13231
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

On Friday I loaded my UDS with two rib racks

2.5 hours later. Foiled them and laid on the grate.

4 hours total.

In the time they were on the grate I cooked some chicken breasts, corn and mushrooms on the lower grate.

The table

The ribs

Clean bones. Not fall off but I like it not so tender.

OferL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #13232
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Every bit of that looks great! I am really wanting my corn to be ready now.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #13233
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Wow that looks so great

Old 07-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #13234
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I see you are using the Vortex without the deflector plate?

Old 07-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #13235
Peter V
Knows what a fatty is.

Does the Lavalock or such gasket (1/2" x 1/8") do a good job sealing the lid on a UDS? I'm trying to get a no leak seal on the lid.
Peter V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 02:53 AM   #13236
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I see you are using the Vortex without the deflector plate?
I use it on and off.
Ribs tend to drip a lot of liquid which builds up on the deflector and turns to hard burnt gunk.
With the deflector off it reaches the coal and turns to vapor which goes back to moist the meat on the outside.

If I'm making lean meat like chicken I use the deflector as it helps a lot with stabilizing the heat and distributing more evenly it in the barrel.
It actually gets hotter on the top grate then the lower one which is closer to the fire.

In this cook it was off during the hanging period and back on when I foiled and left the ribs on the grate, adding the chicken and vegetables.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 AM   #13237
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V View Post
Does the Lavalock or such gasket (1/2" x 1/8") do a good job sealing the lid on a UDS? I'm trying to get a no leak seal on the lid.
I use it. Attached to the lid. Works great.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #13238
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

OKAY. I've spent way too much time browsing this thread, and now I simply have to build myself an UDS. I do have a question tho, that I don't think has been answered exactly.

Has anyone purchased a new drum from either U-Line or McMaster-Carr? If so, does a Weber kettle lid fit it, and what type did you get (open top, closed top, with or without the 2" drain in the bottom, etc)?

I know all drums are slightly different. On some the lid fits perfect, some it takes some work, and some it actually fits the 'bottom' perfect but not the top.

I may be able to pick up a lightly used Kettle for cheap to use as an organ donor for a UDS build. For the drum itself, I'm leaning towards just buying a new one, hence the question. Both McMaster Carr and U-Line are local-ish to me so I could pick it up and save on shipping, but I doubt either of them want me wandering their warehouse checking the fit of the kettle lid...

Old 08-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #13239
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Just explain your need to the floor manager, most are sympathetic to a good cause. And what better cause than BBQ? Easier yet, call the shop and explain, maybe they know the answer you seek.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #13240
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I've found most drums that are open top (and some closed top). If you cut the top ring off. Most every Weber and knock off lid fits as long as you do a straight cut.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #13241
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Was me, I'd go with an open top and use the flat lid that it comes with. Having a "weber" dome so you can have 2 grates sounds good but in practice - not so much. I got a "freebie" stainless closed head drum and had no choice but to adapt a weber lid to it. I did set it up to use 2 grates- but I won't cook on the lower grate. I use it for a catch pan...when I use it at all.

I'd pay good money (but not retail) to have the same SS 55 gallon drum with a removable flat lid

Old 09-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #13242
rinasek
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Minya

First time posting here, read through 1/4 of this thread and here is the first result of my build:

Thanks, everyone! So far I have been only reading here but I hope that in future I can contribute.
rinasek is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #13243
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I have a stainless open head drum with the weber lid. I use the hunsaker vortex basket and have no issues cooking on both grates for ribs pork butts or anything else. I am not typically cooking that much food where I need both grates but when I'm cooking more than 3 slabs of ribs the second grate is great to have.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #13244
fuzzytxt
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Ben

I just completed MY First UDS!
Weeks of planning and gathering what i needed and it payed off big time! Reading this tread helped alot!

I had a tiny little water smoker and it was great $50 from Home Depot! It worked, but i wanted to step up and looking at the intermediate smokers, whew thats $500 on up and When i saw Drum Smokers I was sold!

Here is a build log if anyone is interested (just on IMGUR)

Cant wait to get Ribs, Brisket, Pork Butt, and wings on there, Just dont know what to do first LOL!
fuzzytxt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:40 AM   #13245
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzytxt View Post
I just completed MY First UDS!
Weeks of planning and gathering what i needed and it payed off big time! Reading this tread helped alot!

I had a tiny little water smoker and it was great $50 from Home Depot! It worked, but i wanted to step up and looking at the intermediate smokers, whew thats $500 on up and When i saw Drum Smokers I was sold!

Here is a build log if anyone is interested (just on IMGUR)

Cant wait to get Ribs, Brisket, Pork Butt, and wings on there, Just dont know what to do first LOL!
Looks beautiful. Welcome to the dark side

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker