MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed
Lightbulb Education/Discussion - Who's Got The Cure??? Long, Not for the Easily Distracted!

We'll call this "Part 1"

Alrighty, something I've wanted to do for some time is start a thread that puts all of the pieces together for the folks beginning their adventure into charcuterie.

I am in no way an expert in the field, I only know what I've been able to glean from other's experiences, various books and what the interwebs have to offer, we also have a great collection of Brethren that are well educated about curing various forms of meats, so I hope to learn from this thread as well!

In the interest of continuing education, food safety and reminders, I pose the following questions with a fairly straightforward answer but you can always use the google'izer to find further (endless) reading on the matter.

There are plenty of recipe threads/sites available elsewhere (although you never can have too many) so I would like to ask that this thread be kept to the topic of "why's and how's" of curing meats, thereby keeping it simple to get a start and grasp on the curing process.

Let's get Started!

-What is curing and what does it do?
“Curing” is a means of food preserving, primarily meat or fish products, using some combination of salt, nitrAtes, nitrItes, sugar and/or smoke.
Often times the combination of the afore mentioned curing agents (or lack thereof) will dictate the degree of dehydration or smoking.

In the most common vernacular, curing is most often referring to a rub or brine that contains sodium nitrIte (most common) or sodium nitrAte (used only in very specific cases - not typically used in the home unless you're using Tender Quick)

The color and texture of the meat changes, think of the difference between a slice of cooked pork loin and a slice of Canadian bacon – both are fully cooked but the color and textures are completely different.

There are many “laws” that come into play depending on the method and use of curing ingredients during curing – this is simply impossible to compact into the space (and attention span) we have here…

-What does “wet cure” mean?
a) Involves immersing the raw meat in a brine solution (of the afore mentioned curing agents) for a number of days (usually 24 hours per 1 inch of meat) at a low temperature. Moisture content of the meat is increased dues to salt and water being absorbed into the meat via osmosis.

b) The raw meat is injected with the curing brine solution to reduce the time needed to fully cure the meat. Curing times are drastically reduced, moisture content of the meat is increased. This is the most common way that meat is commercially cured.

-What does “dry cure” mean?
The oldest way of curing meats – curing ingredients are rubbed directly onto the surface of the raw meat and allowed to cure for a number of days (usually 24 hours per 1 inch of meat) at a low temperature.
Moisture content of the meat is reduced, texture of the meat changes.

The oldest ways of dry curing mainly consisted of rubbing large amounts of salt on the surface of the meat. This was often times called “salted” as in “salted beef”, “salted pork” or “salt cod”. Sometimes these were dehydrated completely, sometimes they were partially dehydrated and then canned.

-Which is better?
Well, that depends… Is beef brisket better when seared and served med rare as a steak?
Is tri-tip better when slow cooked for 16 hours and then pulled?

The answer really is both are better… depending on the cut of meat being cured…
Personally I prefer my belly bacon and buck board bacon (BBB) dry cured and my Canadian bacon wet cured.
My general rule of thumb, High fat content – dry cure. Low fat content – wet cure.

-What is Sodium Nitrite? (NaNO2)
Sodium NitrIte is the foremost curing agent used in meat curing today, both commercially and in the home kitchen. Potassium nitrIte (KNO2) is it’s lesser known counterpart

It’s primary use is to prevent botulism bacteria from growing in meats and causing illness and death.

Preserves color and promotes a distinct “cured” flavor, think of the difference between cooked pork and ham or pot roast and corned beef.
It quickly converts Nitrous Acid (which lowers the pH, reducing bacteria growth) and then converts to Nitric Oxide.
Since it makes these conversions pretty quickly, it is used in “quick” cures, usually lasting 7-10 days.

It is rare that you will find this in pure form for food use, it is too toxic in that state and too difficult to measure with accuracy. Typically the most concentrated it will be found is 6.25% (1oz nitrite to 1lb salt & red color (makes it pink) added for safety).

Most commonly, recipes will call for 1 level Tsp per 5lbs of meat. Salt must be added to assist the carry of the nitrite into the meat.

Most Common Names: Cure #1, Pink Salt, Tinted Cure Mix (TCM), Tinted Curing Powder (TCP), Prague powder #1, InstaCure #1, Modern cure, D.Q. powder, FLP, L.E.M. cure, Sure Cure, Fast Cure

-When should I use sodium nitrIte?

As stated above, nitrIte is used when the cure duration is short (7-10 days, in contrast to long curing/aging, up to a year under the right conditions )
It can be used in either wet or dry curing
It’s used because of its fast acting conversions that cure meat. For that reason, it is also found in slow curing applications where sodium nitrAte is used to give it a jump start before the nitrAte can begin it's conversion

Typically the types of meat that you’d use nitrIte for (nitrIte without nitrAte) are: belly bacon, BBB, Canadian bacon, corned beef, pastrami, jerky, pepperoni snack sticks, hot dogs, commercially made smoked turkey legs, commercially made smoked salmon/fish

-What is Sodium Nitrate? (NaNO3)

Sodium NitrAte is far less common in the home and commercial curing. Even more obscure is Potassium nitrIte (KNO3), it’s counterpart.

It’s use was far more common before the chemistry of curing was understood.

NitrAte slowly converts to NitrIte, so if we’re doing a quick cure, why wouldn’t we start at the nitrIte stage instead of slowing it down (risking spoilage or dangerous bacteria) by starting with nitrAte?

It also preserves color and promotes a distinct “cured” flavor, again, think of the difference between cooked pork and ham or pot roast and corned beef.

It is rare that you will find sodium nitrAte in pure form for food use, Potassium nitrAte however is commonly known as salt peter, both are typically found at 99% purity… if you’re making massive batches of cure you could theoretically buy it this way and dilute with salt and nitrIte… but then I’d have to call ya’ a freak!

Most commonly for meat curing you will find it mixed much like the sodium nitrIte above, 89.75% salt, and 6.25% sodium nitrite, and 4% sodium nitrate (1 pound of salt, plus 1 ounce of sodium nitrIte, plus .64 ounce of sodium nitrAte). This gives it the “right off the bat” quick start for the cure (nitrIte) and the continuously converting nitrAtes for the slow curing/aging/drying.

Most commonly, recipes will call for 1 level Tsp per 5lbs of meat. Salt must be added to assist the carry of the nitrite into the meat.

Most common names: Cure #2, Prague powder #2, InstaCure #2, Modern cure #2, D.Q. powder #2

-When should I use sodium nitrate or salt peter?

It should be used for making dry cured products such as pepperoni, hard salami, genoa salami, proscuitti hams, dried farmers sausage, capicola, fermented sausages, pancetta, whole ham. These are products that do not require cooking or smoking, (but can be) or refrigeration. Cure #2 can be compared to the time release capsules used for colds--the sodium nitrate breaks down to sodium nitrite and then to nitric oxide to cure the meat over an extended period of time. Some meats require curing for 6 months or longer.

-So What's Tender Quick?

Morton's Tender Quick IS NOT a tenderizer.

Now that we have that clear, IT IS a more suitable cure for beginner's (and heck, even experienced folks use it!).
It's quite a bit more diluted than the Cure #1 & #2 that we've talked about.

Tender quick's ingredients are: Salt, sugar, 0.5% sodium nitrAte, 0.5% sodium nitrIte, propylene glycol (prevents caking)
salt is 56% of the total ingredients, we know sugar is the other main ingredient, but under carbohydrates it says 0g, 0%

Essentially, TQ is an already mixed up concoction, you can add your spices, rub and you're done

Recommended usage (on the pkg) is 1 TBS per lb (waaay more diluted than pink salt!) But they are really only referring to a very quick cure on small thin pieces of meat like ribs (why would you??), pork chops, chicken, etc... and leave on for only 4-8 hours, rinse, dry & cook

For brine curing, it says to use a cup to 4 cups of water, brine for 24 hours.

IMO - either of these uses will turn out INCREDIBLY WAY TOO SALTY!

With consistent success, I've used 1/2 TBS per lb of belly bacon or butt for BBB (both dry cured) with perfect saltiness (similar to commercial bacon, slightly less salty)

Usually most recipes that you find online that call for TQ will give a dosage different than that on the pkg IME

-Umm, you mentioned botulism earlier… should I freak out now???

Uhh, no. While botulism is very bad schtuff, the primary reason we use nitrites & nitrates is to prevent botulism from potentially growing.

-“How would it grow with all that salt? I’m gonna smoke it anyways, won’t that help?”

Well, botulism is a very odd bird. It’s one of the few organisms/bacteria that grows only in very low to zero oxygen environments.
That means the time spent in your smoker (very low oxygen) or the time after the smoker spent in vacuum packaging (jerky, snack sticks, smoked fish, bacon, etc…)

-So should we say that you should use nitrItes especially if you plan on smoking salted or cured meat?

Yeah, we should say that.

Stay tuned for Part 2: "So I just wanna make some bacon, but you made me read all that garbage up there..."

Coming soon!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You said that Tender Quick has propylene glycol in it. Isn't that antifreeze??
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
You said that Tender Quick has propylene glycol in it. Isn't that antifreeze??
Nah.

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

You're prolly thinking of the nasty stuff ethylene glycol... Google Propylene glycol and check out the wiki article on it... It has a long list of other products it's used in.

Propylene glycol is a component in newer automotive antifreezes and de-icers used at airports. Like ethylene glycol, the freezing point of propylene glycol is depressed when mixed with water due to disruption of hydrogen bonding. Unlike ethylene glycol, propylene glycol is of very low toxicity. Both are readily biodegradable.

Incidentally, it's also an ingredient in cure #2... last ingredient in both products, well, except for the red coloring in #2...

Cure #1 uses sodium silico aluminate as it's anti caking agent.

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Uhh, I think I geek'd out on everyone...

Anyone still with me??

Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

LOVE IT!

More please.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I really get into this sort of thing. My knowledge is from the way it was done on the farm.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
I really get into this sort of thing. My knowledge is from the way it was done on the farm.
Please share, I have very little hands on knowledge of the traditional methods, I'd love to know how your family cured things.

Modern scientific explanations can't always account for every single one of the things that happen when meats are cured (especially when fermenting sausages), or at least shed any light on how folks came to know "that's just the way we do it" in the good ol' days.

Often time "the old way" is "the right way" but they learned it through trial and error, or there are small tweaks made to the old way to make it the right way, like using nitrItes instead of nitrAtes for short cures...

Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
MadCityJim
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the great info and explanations. One thing I noticed was the % salt you gave for Morton's Tenderquick wasn't the % of salt contained in the mix, but rather it was the amount of the recommended daily allowance of salt if you were to eat 3/4 of a teaspoon of Tenderquick. I searched around the web for an analysis, but couldn't find one.

Perhaps that's why the amount of sugar is listed as 0g as well.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]-Weber OTG, Weber OTS, Weber Smokey Joe Gold, Smokenator, Stoker[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]-[COLOR=green]SuperFast WaterProof [B]GREEN[/B] Thermapen[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]-Proud architect of: [/B][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90573"][B]Smoked Mac-N-Cheese with Bourbon and Bacon[/B][/URL][B], [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92062"][B]Big Bad BLT Platter[/B][/URL], [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85744"][B]Whole Suckling Pig In My ProQ Excel 20[/B][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by MadCityJim; 01-05-2012 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: forgot something
MadCityJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityJim View Post
Thanks for the great info and explanations. One thing I noticed was the % salt you gave for Morton's Tenderquick wasn't the % of salt contained in the mix, but rather it was the amount of the recommended daily allowance of salt if you were to eat 3/4 of a teaspoon of Tenderquick. I searched around the web for an analysis, but couldn't find one.

Perhaps that's why the amount of sugar is listed as 0g as well.
Thanks Jim! How very right you are!!!
I think I was so baffled as to why there were no carbs listed when sugar is clearly an ingredient... After thinking about it some more, it does make sense that sugar can be in it yet have less than 1g per serving, therefore not needing for it to be disclosed in the DV info.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
JCHjr55
Knows what a fatty is.

Looking forward to Part 2 !

John
JCHjr55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHjr55 View Post
Looking forward to Part 2 !

John
Me too.

Where's the beef? Er...is part 2 coming soon?
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

I too just yesterday was wondering about the BEEFY side of carchuterie......i spose I could start with bacon, so I'm tuned in for the next episode!!!

Posted from my fancy android fone!!
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

I'll be working on part 2 this week when I have some time. It takes quite a while to put it together in a way that is easy to grasp, yet complete enough that it has some substance...

For sure we'll get to beef!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

I'm in!!

Posted from my fancy android fone!!
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacon, cure, curing, dry cure, insta cure, meat curing, pink salt, tender quick, TQ ., wet cure