MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default I just hire a new employee

His name is "Sleep" baby I just ordered a new FEC120 for catering in 2014 and it should be here in the next 10 days. After going strong for 4 years with a Lang 84 and another stick burner it will be nice to "set it and forget it"

Plus when we sell at our roadside spot I usually take my trailer in on Friday evening and set it up and then come back home and cook all night on the Lang and pull it to town Saturday morning and vend. By Saturday evening after being up most of the night I am dead. This will allow me to get home Saturday evening and reload the FEC and go back and vend again on Sunday and get two whole nights of sleep while doubling my gross sales for the weekend!
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Slacker!

I think this is a good plan

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba

Any worries on the difference in taste and texture going with the pellet pooper?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Any worries on the difference in taste and texture going with the pellet pooper?
I've had a lot but have researched it for 3 months and everyone that I have talked to who cooks on them and all info I have found on the net has been 100% positive feedback. I only found 1 case where someone was not happy and they changed to a different brand of pellet that cured the issue they were having. I guess we'll see how it goes, I'll keep ya posted.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
landarc

I will be interested to see what your conclusions are as well. I have a theory that I have as a result of watching the food truck phenomena in San Francisco (a difficult and sophisticated restaurant market) and this would be related.

I figure that people adjust their expectations of food, based upon a variety of factors, but, chief amongst those is not price, but, rather, location and venue. Even a dive joint, because it is 'brick & mortar', suffers from the expectation that the food must be the same every time. There are expecations of permanence associated with a real building. When the same people buy from a trailer, despite the same, or higher costs and even the same location, there is an allowance that they are some how buying "pirate" food and a little variation is to be expected, even desired.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I've had a lot but have researched it for 3 months and everyone that I have talked to who cooks on them and all info I have found on the net has been 100% positive feedback. I only found 1 case where someone was not happy and they changed to a different brand of pellet that cured the issue they were having. I guess we'll see how it goes, I'll keep ya posted.
Just remember its positive feedback from people who probably have never cooked over wood!

Congrats on the upgrade. Get some rest.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Bubba I had two people that had for sure gone from stick burners to the FEC and they both loved the FEC. I will surely post my opinions once I give it a try. Could be a few weeks before delivery though, I have not gotten a date from them as of yet.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

landarc I'll have to agree with you, I think a lot of the time anymore that 98% of people would not know good BBQ if it fell in their mouth. There are a few places with in an hour of me that serve some of the sorriest pork one could ever cook but the places have a great atmosphere ad the reviews online are great and people love the BBQ at them.

I know of one that cooks pork loin in an oven, does not even have a smoker on the premises, chops it to almost hamburger with a buffalo chopper and people go crazy over it.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
bjbbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I did a lot of research as well to see if a BBQ restaurant was feasible with a non stick burner. I found that the pellet smokers are able to get really good results. The electric smokers are pretty good as well, but the pellet smokers are much better.
My restaurant is in a state where the HD is pretty strict about outdoor pits, so I went with what I thought was best for what will fit in my place. I ordered 2 Pro Smoker pellet smokers which are very similar the the FEC120, so I will be interested to see how the OP fares. I will know within the next 2 weeks if my smokers will live up to what I need for my restaurant.
bjbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbbq View Post
I did a lot of research as well to see if a BBQ restaurant was feasible with a non stick burner. I found that the pellet smokers are able to get really good results. The electric smokers are pretty good as well, but the pellet smokers are much better.
My restaurant is in a state where the HD is pretty strict about outdoor pits, so I went with what I thought was best for what will fit in my place. I ordered 2 Pro Smoker pellet smokers which are very similar the the FEC120, so I will be interested to see how the OP fares. I will know within the next 2 weeks if my smokers will live up to what I need for my restaurant.

What town are you in?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

The FEC was shipped Tuesday and arrived on UPS Freight today, I had it shipped to my work place and we unloaded it with a Bobcat and forks right on to the back of my truck. Strapped it down and headed home, I thought maybe they were over estimating when they said the shipping weight was 515lbs but the thing is pretty stout. Now I have to figure out how to get it off my truck in the morning.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
IamMadMan

Congrats on the new acquisition, keep us posted on performance of the unit.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

It made it to the ground safely, we unpack-aged it and plan to give it a test run tomorrow. Gonna let it season for about 3 hours and then put a few yard birds on for dinner. I must say it's an expensive purchase but CookShack does load you up with tons of free (but highly paid for LOL) rubs and sauces, along with a smok'n book and several other goodies. The unit is larger than I imagined, my 13 year old son is in the pic to give it some scale. I could not find many pic's online that gave it scale when I was looking.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Well today I fired up the new FEC120 with in 15 minutes it was at 200 degrees and I run it several hours to break it in. I had to cook today for a tasting for a future booking bride and I cooked for her on the Lang 84 so I decided to cook half a pack of chicken legs on the Lang and the other half on the FEC. Both went on at the same time running about 260 degrees each. Chicken came off of both at the same time. All chicken in the pic came off the FEC except for one piece which came off the Lang. Both were great but I'd say if I had to pick a winner for today's chicken I'd pick the FEC. That could be that subconsciously I'm trying to justify spending $5500 too LOL.

The only thing I can call BS on so far is that Cookshack says the unit will burn 1/2lb of pellets an hour at 250 degrees. That is BS I run the unit set on 225 degrees for 3.5 hours and 250 for 4.5 hours and burned about 14lbs of pellets. By their calculations of burn-age I should have cooked at least 28 hours off of that. Which piece came off the Lang????

Old 11-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Well today I fired up the new FEC120 with in 15 minutes it was at 200 degrees and I run it several hours to break it in. I had to cook today for a tasting for a future booking bride and I cooked for her on the Lang 84 so I decided to cook half a pack of chicken legs on the Lang and the other half on the FEC. Both went on at the same time running about 260 degrees each. Chicken came off of both at the same time. All chicken in the pic came off the FEC except for one piece which came off the Lang. Both were great but I'd say if I had to pick a winner for today's chicken I'd pick the FEC. That could be that subconsciously I'm trying to justify spending $5500 too LOL.

The only thing I can call BS on so far is that Cookshack says the unit will burn 1/2lb of pellets an hour at 250 degrees. That is BS I run the unit set on 225 degrees for 3.5 hours and 250 for 4.5 hours and burned about 14lbs of pellets. By their calculations of burn-age I should have cooked at least 28 hours off of that. Which piece came off the Lang????
The top left one?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote