MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Default Grilled chicken suggestions?

This weekend, I'm going to be at the in-laws', which means I won't have a smoker, but will have access to a really nice gas grill. I normally make tri-tips when I'm there (mmmmmm.... tri-tips....) but my little goddaughter will be there, and she loves chicken. So, that was a long lead-in to my question: does anyone have any suggestions on some good grilled chicken? I was thinking of maybe beer-can chicken (or juice-can since my godddaughter is 3). Has anyone done that on a gasser? And other suggestions?
Thanks!
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Here is one of my other chicken recipes. It is a lemon oregano wet rub.
The serrano brine may be too much for your goddaughter, if she is a youngish.
This one is not as spicy.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93232
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a Butterflied chicken I did on my gas grill about a year ago. It's very much
like a spatchcocked chicken...I just cut it down the breast; instead of down the back.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=70054

Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

A while back someone painted mayo on chicken breast. It's become a favorite of ours.
Recipie is on my blog, see my sig!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! These look amazing.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg

Old 08-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
Here is one of my other chicken recipes. It is a lemon oregano wet rub.
The serrano brine may be too much for your goddaughter, if she is a youngish.
This one is not as spicy.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93232
Smiter, I just looked at your serrano brine. It may be too hot for the little 'uns, but it looks perfect for me. I guess I'm making two kinds of chicken this weekend...

Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
Slasher
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Best grilled chicken, easy peasy- would be the can chicken (beer is fine fer young uns... the alcohol evaporates in the steam....) or one of my faves is kebabs... Do a search for kebabs,yakitori, or satay with peanut or "pinda" sauce-kids love it as long as you go light on the heat)

The yakitori (a sweet) sauce is available at any asian market and pearl onions make it a nice balance....

The indonesian satay (thai version as well) is grilled chicken with a peanut buter based sauce, yakitori is Japanese style with a sweet sauce with a slight worchestchire type bite...

As a Dad of 3 lil ones, I am unable to cook enough to fill the lil bottomless pits that keep wanting more and more... I keep adding more and more chicken... But it never seems to be enough or left overs don't last long...
Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

You can always use chicken broth and aromatics in a can.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

i like the roadside chicken recipe and spatch-cock always works, too.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

My personal favorite way to grill chicken is to clean the chicken and remove any excess skin or fat and let drain/dry in the fridge for an hour or so. Next I pour all if my chicken in a large bowl and coat them with Olive oil. Next I season (a little heavy) with Simply Marvelous Season All and let the chicken sit for a few hours to allow re rub to penetrate. I then grill it indirectly at first and then crisp it up towards the end. Right before I finish I Brush on some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and throw back over the heat to sort of caramelize the BBQ sauce. It's my favorite way to do chicken on the grill. Beer can is also a great way to do chicken too.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

Me, I'd spatchcock, season with maybe lemon-pepper. I'm guessing the gasser has 2 or more zones. With 2 + zones I can cook offset using a foil pack of wood shavings for some smoke.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker

Not even close, I would go with halfed whole birds, Huli-Huli syle. I always brine mine and then marinate them. I like them halved vs spactcocked as it just makes grill maintenance/placement much easier, especially for large crowds.

Great thing about this, you can pull the birds, chop up the crisp skin, put it all in pan and eat pulled pork style, the next day even. Some reserved Huli sauce in the pan of pulled bird is better the next day IMHO.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Might I suggest doing chicken two ways, one for the grownups, and one for the kids. Do a whole chicken or some sophisticated recipe for the grownups, and do something fun for the kids -- something that kind of resembles the kid-favorite chicken nuggets, but is healthy, grilled, and fun.

You could grill some chicken tenderloins for the kids, and make a sweet dipping sauce -- without processed sugar. Use real honey and some dijon mustard, for example.

Use your imagination, and think like a kid. But, at the same time, make something else that adult palettes will appreciate.

Just a thought.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Skidder
Babbling Farker

One of our favorites that is simple to make is we take chix breasts put in a large Ziploc bag and add Todds Dirt,gran. garlic (or dryed basil, oregano,gran.garlic and salt and pepper) with lots of evoo and fridge over night. Sounds simple and it is but it seems the evoo keeps the chix very moist.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote