MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: How do we want to split the Competition forum?
Create Event subforum. Leave General stuff in Comp 11 8.87%
Create General discussion subforum. Leave event stuff in Comp 3 2.42%
Create 2 subforums. Events and CompTalk(general discussion). 38 30.65%
Leave it alone. Its ok the way it is. 60 48.39%
I dont give a rats pitutie either way. 12 9.68%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #16
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Split er up

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #17
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

State of the Comp Forum Address. Live at 11, with the duck and alpaca.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That's not the way I interpret it, SIDE. All of the posts related to an event would be in the events forum, so the announcement, roll call, logistics, results, etc. would be in that forum. Discussions about competitions in general, not a specific event, like turn ins, the best canopy to use, etc. would be in the Comp Talk forum since they aren't related to a specific event.

I voted for choice three, but I really don't have a strong opinion. I can see both sides of the coin, so to speak
Rons got it right.

A contest, its roll call, its specifics, its categories, all go in the event forum. That would include discussion about its categories, logistics, whos going, etc..

Oics of turn-in boxes for critiques, competition techniques, equipment, how to's, general discussion would go in Comp talk.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

I guess I am just an ole dog that doesnt like new tricks, and I ain't fond of change, if it aint boke, dont fix it!

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #20
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

2 sub forums

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
StLouQue

Darned nice of you guys to ask. It doesn't really matter to me. I primarily browse new posts, anyway. The only point of my post was to thank you for considering the opinions of the membership. VOTE PHIL '09

Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #22
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

I think splitting it up may be ok. I like to be able to find the comps and who did what and generally they get into different posts and are a little hard to keep up with. Having them in one space could make that easier, and if or when my canopy breaks I would not have to wade thru that to start the fight over whose is better these days. Sign me up.

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #23
nthole
Babbling Farker

I voted for leaving it alone. There aren't that many posts that it's so difficult to find what you need.

But I'll visit 'em both if you split 'em, so whatever will work.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #24
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
I voted for leaving it alone. There aren't that many posts that it's so difficult to find what you need.

But I'll visit 'em both if you split 'em, so whatever will work.
I agree. Do whatever the consensus is, but compared to other sections, there's not that much to wade through here. And although some may get annoyed by another "rate my turn-in" or "what's the best canopy" thread, those are what many of us have refined our own comp skills from.

Would dividing them up keep season vets from venturing in to lend advice or a pat on the back?

Again, just my take on it for whatever it's worth.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #25
Sawdustguy

I like Poobah's idea for two subforums. Sometimes there are some good threads lost between all of the Comp Announcements and Roll Calls.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #26
striped pig
Got Wood.

I think Neil hit it right - there aren't that many threads in the comp header to keep up with. If you guys find it easier, I'll read both, but my vote is to leave it alone. ...........stan
striped pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #27
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
And although some may get annoyed by another "rate my turn-in" or "what's the best canopy" thread, those are what many of us have refined our own comp skills from.

I know I have asked my share of comp questions and my first comp was a sucess instead of a train wreck because of the help and advice I recieved from The Brothers.

Would dividing them up keep season vets from venturing in to lend advice or a pat on the back?

Valid point.
Promoting and teaching BBQ is what The Brethren are about.
It's a possiblity but who knows?
Just thinking out loud.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #28
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

please be clear... NO ONE complained here..

This was 100% me. I was looking for some info, and I noticed we have a huge amount of contest threads and roll calls. I had to wade thru all the contest stuff just to find some general info.

Contest stuff comprises probably 70-80% of the forum.. More so recently, probably because the seasons spinning up.

What I was thinking was just to offload the event announcements to a separate place, keeping the informational and educational stuff in the existing forum.

but..im listening. keep going... seems like a dead even split.. 30 for a split, 31 to stay as of this post.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #29
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I agree that people looking for help will get more in a general forum, if split many of us will probably check an advice forum less often.
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (scrapped, because door kept falling off)
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #30
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

How do you guys read the forum?
I just look at new posts 4 or 5 times a day

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote