Where are you guys buying High Quality Bulk Spices for making Rub?

PaulstheRibList

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
BishopofBBQ
Brethren,

Isn't this BBQ thing fun?!! I've been making rub and using a good quality supplier, Penzey's for spices. Quality and flavor have been great. But I'm paying retail, and now that we are growing, I'd like to pay less.

Sysco, US Foods, etc. also have bulk spices, and I plan to try them out.

Who else have you had success with doing a more commercial account size volume?

I need to explore the co-packer world one day as well, just not today.

Thanks!

I have purchased 1lb bags of smoked sea salt & a few other spices through www.myspicesage.com . They offer from 1oz to multi-pound bags of spices & spice mixes. If you buy more than $10, there is no shipping cost. If you buy under $10, there's a $3 charge. Sometimes they offer free 1oz samples, deeply discounted small packages of items & more. I got a 1oz sample bag of jalapeno sea salt for $1 with my last order. I haven't had any issues with quality, but the prices they have for small amounts ( under 1lb ) are pretty high. I'd recommend getting 1lb or more if you can.

Wholesale spices

I've used World Spice out of Seattle. Crazy fresh and if you apply for a commercial account (link is somewhere down on the bottom) they have wholesale pricing.

Penzey's...really good quality. Scattered locations around the US, but they also ship from somewhere in the Midwest...easy to find online. They also have good pricing when you bulk up.

Penzey's...really good quality. Scattered locations around the US, but they also ship from somewhere in the Midwest...easy to find online. They also have good pricing when you bulk up.

You are right! I converted my account with them to a commercial one, and today received a 47 POUND box of spices from them! (30% discount when you get 10 pounds of an item.) I LOVE their black pepper! Should be able to make a couple of months of rub from that huge box!

Back