Comp Generators

DMDon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are looking to upgrade our generator. Does anybody use the Honda EM7000? What do you think of it? is it quiet? What others are you using? I think we would need 30 amp or 3000 watts continous, (to run a/c, refridge, and lights) and be quiet. I don't know much about electicity show what are some recomendations.

For ease of storage and saving my back, I use 2 honda 2000i's. Hook them parallel and it gives you 4000 watts and it's a heck of a lot easier to lug around than a 3000i.
If you want to be a big dog, get a 6000-you'll be able to run the campground-well almost.
During comps, I use just 1 2000i to run the A/C in the m/h, it does the job,but it's nice to have too much power.

I use 2 EU2000's also, with an extended run fuel tank. Runs everything in the trailer all weekend and very quiet.

Geesh Don, you act like you've got some new BBQ money burning a hole in your pocket. :)

I'm waffeling on this as well, we have a 2000i. And wondering if we should go to the 3000, or another 2000 parallel.

Don you're welcome to borrow my 2000 and give it a try if your like.

Last edited:
What are you going to be running off of the generator? I don't know if the Honda EM7000 has an inverter. If you are running any ind of electronics (PC, TV, Radio, future FEC :-D) you want a generator with an inverter. Also, do you need that much power? Honda has a power estimator that may help figure out your needs...

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_wattage

As far as noise, the EM7000 is rated at 69db. For comparison the EU6500iS is rated at 52db and 1/4 load and 60dB at full load. I was next to Scottie this past weekend and he uses an EU6500iS and 90% of the time I couldn't even tell it was running. Once in a while it would kick up to high and then I could hear it. Even though another 9 dB doesn't sound like much, the dB scale is logarithmic, so 9dB is a big jump in sound level.

To add more confusion... I like the idea of running two generators vs. one. Redundancy is a good thing sometimes. If you lose one you may have to make some decisions, but that's a lot better than being screwed if you lose THE one.

As far as noise, the EM7000 is rated at 69db. For comparison the EU6500iS is rated at 52db and 1/4 load and 60dB at full load. I was next to Scottie this past weekend and he uses an EU6500iS and 90% of the time I couldn't even tell it was running. Once in a while it would kick up to high and then I could hear it. Even though another 9 dB doesn't sound like much, the dB scale is logarithmic, so 9dB is a big jump in sound level.

When it would kick to "high" (a real misnomer...) that was from me cranking up my microwave to re-heat my money muscle.... :eek:

I own a Honda 3000 and the Honda 6500. This one that you are talking about Don, doesn't sound like it has the invertor and as Ron says, I would spend the extra money to cover your electronics...

I've been very happy with my Kipor 3000's at a fraction of the price of the Honda's. Been running successfully for 3+ years. They are safe for electronics, too. Ran one this past weekend and someone thought my truck was idling. Gotta love these uber quiet gensets.

Great info, thanks!
I've been very happy with my Kipor 3000's at a fraction of the price of the Honda's. Been running successfully for 3+ years. They are safe for electronics, too. Ran one this past weekend and someone thought my truck was idling. Gotta love these uber quiet gensets.

The only really thing bad I have heard about them is if something was to break and you needed service... I heard that it is not good....

The only really thing bad I have heard about them is if something was to break and you needed service... I heard that it is not good....

That was true a couple of years ago. There are service centers and parts available in the US now. For $1000, it is worth the risk to me.

When it would kick to "high" (a real misnomer...) that was from me cranking up my microwave to re-heat my money muscle.... :eek:

Yeah... I wasn't sure what to call it. Full throttle? Either way, I could hear it but it didn't impair conversations, even 15 feet away.

That was true a couple of years ago. There are service centers and parts available in the US now. For $1000, it is worth the risk to me.

We were next to Todd at Shannon and his Kipor was also very quiet. I went with a Honda because i couldn't find anyone local who handled Kipor. if there was a local dealer I probably would have gone that way.

I own a Honda 3000 and the Honda 6500. This one that you are talking about Don, doesn't sound like it has the invertor and as Ron says, I would spend the extra money to cover your electronics...

Is that before or after you add the MSG.

Good god Don!:eek:. What you running in that camper? A Welder?

I'd agree with the 2 2000i's. I've heard that is the way to go for more power. But what would I know, I don't have one either.

Don, I thought that was the inverter one that I sent to Bob. Seemed like a good price if it was. Doesnt sound like that is the case.

I have the Kipor 3000 and it works pretty nice. One thing that I did not like about it was at a contest I had 3 guys hooked up and at 5am it shut down from low oil. My fault for not checking it but it was only the second overnight use I had from it, so I wasnt expecting that. The oil area is burried in the engine and if you dont have a long thin funnel it is kind if hard to reach. I think the Honda is on the side.

But saying that, for no more use than it gets, The $500+ price savings was worth it to me.

Is that before or after you add the MSG.

Man, why do you think my RV smells like a Chinese Carryout? It's that 55 gallon drum of MSG that I have. That's how we roll.... :shock:

Don, I thought that was the inverter one that I sent to Bob. Seemed like a good price if it was. Doesnt sound like that is the case.

I have the Kipor 3000 and it works pretty nice. One thing that I did not like about it was at a contest I had 3 guys hooked up and at 5am it shut down from low oil. My fault for not checking it but it was only the second overnight use I had from it, so I wasnt expecting that. The oil area is burried in the engine and if you dont have a long thin funnel it is kind if hard to reach. I think the Honda is on the side.

But saying that, for no more use than it gets, The $500+ price savings was worth it to me.

I was one of the guys hooked up to that Kipor and I was real surprised how much it could take and how quiet it was. I don't have a generator but after Nevada I was sold on the Kipor.

FYI, if anyone's interested about getting a Honda, I can highly recommend an internet store that had my 2000i's discounted enough that I couldn't even buy them locally! They sell ton's to RV guys.

FYI, if anyone's interested about getting a Honda, I can highly recommend an internet store that had my 2000i's discounted enough that I couldn't even buy them locally! They sell ton's to RV guys.
Can you PM that to me or post it here?

Back