MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
OrleansAg
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default All day smoke (pics)

OK, so over the weekend I had the smoker running all day and did a brisket, ribs, and salmon. I have some pics below and would appreciate it any advice. This was the first brisket I did, so I kept the temp around 250 in my BWS Chubby. I used two larger pieces of hickory (pic 1 for placement before I covered with briquets).

1.jpg

When I tested the temp at 4 hours it was around 175 depending on the place. So I took it out and wrapped it in foil. Seemed like it was cooking a little fast. It was 7.5 pounds. USDA Choice from Costco.

2.jpg

I pulled it at about 7 hours when the temp hit 200 and I let it rest for 30min still wrapped.

3.jpg

4.jpg

It was OK. I'd say it was smoky and tender in places, but overall not as moist and tender as a good one should be. I used briquets and the water pan always had water. I added some briquets during the smoke, unlit on top. Others have said this is fine, but the briquets smoke a bit when they light up, does that affect the meat?

I also started the ribs in the smoker and I did a 3-2-1. Cut the ribs in half to fit in the chubby. I also kept it at 250 degrees. I used apple wood...the hickory was done from earlier.

5.jpg

photo 1.jpg

Again, these were tender. Seems like 6 hours was a lot and I'd appreciate any recipes you'd recommend. I just did basic salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. When I wrapped I added apple cider. And then for the last hour I just brushed on honey mixed with apple vinegar and some pepper.

Was a fun day having the smoker running all day. Also curious about when folks put on more briquets during the smoke. Seems like you don't want to add them too often or soon, but you want enough of the first batches' remnants to ignite them.

Oh and here's a shot of the salmon. I followed someone's "Easter Smoked Salmon" recipe on this board. Soaked in rum, then a 4 hour salt cure. Very good.

photo 2.jpg

Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

The brisket looks a little over cooked. I'd aim for maybe 15 degrees less next time but overall the three products look like a fantastic job.
John

Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I would try to slice against the grain. Gives a better texture.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good as said above brisky a tad over done but over all a good job

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

How anyone can tell a if a brisket is overdone based on pictures of a brisket incorrectly sliced is blowing smoke up your ass.

Unless its me.

I think you may have nailed it. Keep up the good work.

In addition. NEVER take doneness advice from anyone who dictates doneness by Internal temp. Especially considering the infamous margin of error on ANY brisket.

If you MUST use temp as a factor (or guide to when to poke) dial back or forward 5 degrees at a time. Of course, this is not a good idea because there are choice briskets done at 178 and choice briskets done at 205 with identical "feels" and baby, that's a HUGE margin of error.

One way to find the right feel is the Night Train Brisket.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
OrleansAg
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks guys.

One other question. I haven't put the meat I'm smoking in a pan, I just let the drippings hit the water pan. I try to keep the pan from going dry, but do you guys recommend using a pan instead?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Putting it in a pan just saves a mess on the grills if i can fit a pan and not block air flow, i do. I dont like my grills all yucky