MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #10711
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Nas View Post
That's why I already drilled the holes.
Yes, I saw the holes you drilled out but you're going to be needing larger openings than that. :)

Old 03-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #10712
Mr_Nas
Found some matches.

Default Ugly Drum Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Yes, I saw the holes you drilled out but you're going to be needing larger openings than that. :)
Ok, thanks for your advice.. I will check how I will get larger openings! Thanks!
Mr_Nas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #10713
jvan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

well after reading 535 pages off this thread I finally found a food grade drum for 10 buck. picking up stock tomorrow! burn tomorrow night stand by for pics and updates! wish me luck
jvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #10714
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvan View Post
well after reading 535 pages off this thread I finally found a food grade drum for 10 buck. picking up stock tomorrow! burn tomorrow night stand by for pics and updates! wish me luck
G'luck

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #10715
Fatalis
Got Wood.

Do you guys get reconditioned or new drums? I called a drum company and they said it would be better to get a drum new for smoking and could not guarantee that the recon drum would not have any residue in it.
Fatalis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #10716
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Just an FYI.
A) drums ... I purchased a recon drum, no problems.
B) Charcoal basket, I wound up using a charcoal grate from a Weber 22.5 in grill replacing the expanded metal which was 3/4". Grate doesn't restrict ash drop.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #10717
Jah62370
Found some matches.

Fatalis:
I've been creeping around this site for quite some time. I Used a lot of info picked up from here and for the last few months since actually building my UDS have smoked many many fatties, pork butts, pork ribs, Xmas turkey,chicken, baked beans, hams and Mac and cheese...I know, no pron or it didn't happen but since I'm not as savvy on the computer as I would like to be, I didn't add any. None the less I started with a barrel that I picked up from work. It had new motor oil in it and no liner and is an open top with the lid and bolt on band. Now I read all the pros and cons about it and went with non food grade due to availability. I used a pressure washer at work that heats the water to rinse it out really well before I burned it out 3 separate times, til the side were literally red hot. After that I rinsed again and wire wheeled it inside and out, applied high heat paint on outside and proceeded to season it with a big ol basket of kingsford blue and extra virgin olive oil on the side walls. Since then there has been somewhat of a learning curve to figure out how "my" UDS operates. I've made a few changes and upgrades to it and it has become easier for me to use. With all that being said, the only person to not feel well after eating something that came off my UDS was me, due to the fact that it tasted so farking good I over indulged. I hope this helps you with your choice of barrel. The way I saw the debate on food grade or not was, since they started making barrels there have been plenty of people that used them no matter what they contained and I'm sure they didn't all die or get sick from them. This has all just been my point of view. Take it for what it's worth.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #10718
Hammer325

Well here goes nothing!!!!
Hammer325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #10719
Hammer325

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #10720
Hammer325

And done!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #10721
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great hammer!

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #10722
sam.t
Found some matches.

In reply to n0face's query,
I went to an engineering company and asked if they had any stainless steel cutoffs, they donated a length of stainless which I had welded into a square and then I spent a few hours drilling it with holes, lucky me.
sometimes a cheeky ask works !
sam.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #10723
BigBellyBen77
Knows what a fatty is.

Default First UDS Build

First UDS build here. Gotta get it finished soon. First competition in May! Sandblasted today then finishing drilling and paint next week! Quick question for everyone. I've got four vent holes around the bottom. Am going to put a ball valve on one for more control. Is it a good idea to ball valve a couple or just the one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burn out.JPG (94.8 KB, 636 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1st set of Pics.zip (439.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: zip 2nd set of pics.zip (657.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: zip 3rd set of pics.zip (331.7 KB, 7 views)
BigBellyBen77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #10724
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer325 View Post

Your food looked great. I think you could get by with cutting your basket in half, or only fill it less than half, depending on what you are cooking, like chicken vs brisket, it just looks to tall in the pic. How long, what temp and how much was left afterwards would tell a better story?
Dave

Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #10725
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalis View Post
Do you guys get reconditioned or new drums? I called a drum company and they said it would be better to get a drum new for smoking and could not guarantee that the recon drum would not have any residue in it.
Well sure they want to sell you a high dollar drum. I have never used a reconditioned, or new one, just burn them out good. If the drum had something so toxic in it, I would think it would not be allowed to be re sold to the the public, not even a trash burner drum, and be treated as hazardous wast material.
Dave

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker