• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dylan Taylor BBQ Class - Austin

Took Dylan's brisket and sausage class. Best $ I've ever spent related to BBQ (maybe the Moberg purchase is a tie). That man is a fountain of information. So many details that add up to an amazing result. We cooked a tiny brisket (maybe 8 lbs) and a larger one(11-12 lbs), 10 hours for the small one, 10.5 hours for the larger, and they were the most tender and flavorful briskets I've ever had a part in cooking. I thought I had a decent grasp on overall smoking meats, but his class was absolutely a game changer. What a fun, productive day.
Now go contact him and get on the list. You will not regret it.

Took Dylan's brisket and sausage class. Best $ I've ever spent related to BBQ (maybe the Moberg purchase is a tie). That man is a fountain of information. So many details that add up to an amazing result. We cooked a tiny brisket (maybe 8 lbs) and a larger one(11-12 lbs), 10 hours for the small one, 10.5 hours for the larger, and they were the most tender and flavorful briskets I've ever had a part in cooking. I thought I had a decent grasp on overall smoking meats, but his class was absolutely a game changer. What a fun, productive day.

Sounds awesome and well worth the money. Do you know what grade and brand of briskets he was using? I’m assuming “prime” for the beef, but feel this is something much better than we can get from Costco. I could be wrong though.

Anyone able to replicate what Dylan taught you on your personal cooker?

What about the sausage?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Anyone able to replicate what Dylan taught you on your personal cooker?

Not EXACTLY cause the kid has literally cooked 10,000 briskets more than me, and can cook one with his eyes closed without ever even probing for a temp the entire cook. But for sure a game changer and I had a great time at his house just BSing. He has a roomate that makes the desserts at Micklethwait who was hanging out with us and was testing some new dessert ideas. It was a fun day.

I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in backyard BBQ and wants step up their game. Even if you think you know it all you will still learn something and still have fun. I have yet to hear anyone say "Meh..."

I've emailed twice and was told that they are full for the Fall with classes...

Sounds awesome and well worth the money. Do you know what grade and brand of briskets he was using? I’m assuming “prime” for the beef, but feel this is something much better than we can get from Costco. I could be wrong though.

He's using CAB primes.

What about the sausage?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The sausage came out great, he gives you a very middle of the road base recipe that you can add and modify to your own taste. You go from trimming briskets to grinding, seasoning, mixing, casing, linking, cooking. Start to finish the whole process. You leave the class with some cooked links, some raw links, and some of the ground sausage to practice casing with when you get home. I really had zero experience with sausage but I feel confident that I could make some pretty nice sausage now with a lil practice.

I figured it was just a matter of time. He knows what he's doing and it's a great experience. I've yet to hear anyone who has attended have anything negative to say about it.

He's in Texas, right? Then I would expect any season other than summer to be his busy season for this kind of thing.

He's in Texas, right? Then I would expect any season other than summer to be his busy season for this kind of thing.

He said he's only doing classes through March of 2019, then it's all about a brick and mortar restaurant.

The sausage came out great, he gives you a very middle of the road base recipe that you can add and modify to your own taste. You go from trimming briskets to grinding, seasoning, mixing, casing, linking, cooking. Start to finish the whole process. You leave the class with some cooked links, some raw links, and some of the ground sausage to practice casing with when you get home. I really had zero experience with sausage but I feel confident that I could make some pretty nice sausage now with a lil practice.

Do you have a recipe you can share??

I just signed up for Dylan Taylor's BBQ class. I waiting to hear back to confirm the date.

Anyone around Texas should look into it. All the instruction classes I looked into seem to be geared at teaching competition BBQ which I'm not really interested in. Dylan is not a competition guy. He was pitmaster at LaBarbecue and Truth BBQ (two of Texas' top 10) for a couple years, and worked a bit at some other notables such as Terry Blacks, Bodacious in Longview, and 2M Smokehouse in San Antonio, and that's what he teaches. Central Texas BBQ. This is not a "class" per say, where you sit at a desk and listen to someone preach from what I gather. it's one-on-one instruction in his backyard in Austin.

Instruction is not "all meats". It's priced "per meat". So if you just want him to show you just how he does brisket or just ribs, you can do that. Price is reasonable considering you get to hang out and pick the brain of someone who has worked in the trenches of the central Texas BBQ scene for a couple years.

https://austin.eater.com/2018/4/10/17218416/dylan-taylor-bbq-texas-barbecue-smokehouse

https://www.taylorbbqcatering.com

Dude. You said he worked at Bodacious in Longview! SON, that's some of the best Q I've had close to Latourney U there when we used to work on their HVAC. All the local folks said that was the place to go!

Looks like you've got a Great teacher for the course! :thumb:

Sounds like money well worth it. I’d think of arranging a trip to Texas to take part in something like this

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish I would have done sausage too while I was there. We talked sausage and he showed me his books but its not the same as having someone babysit you through it.

Same here. I'm really thinking about hitting him up for a sausage class. I've been trying to source something decent for my food trailer and I think doing my own is the way to go long term. You can customize to taste and there's a significant cost savings compared with buying commercially available sausage.

Back