Final attempt at enjoying chuckies... help me to find a place in my heart for them

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello

I've tried several times to like chuckies in the smoker. Each time was a terrible failure. I love chuck roasts cooked in stews and other recipes but in the smoker :nono:.

Here are a few of my previous goes at it:

There were other tries. However no successes. But I was at Shoprite today buying smoke chuck for a different recipe and so I picked up and piece with the intent of trying again. And thus, I've come to the wisdom of the brethren for help.

• What are some tips and tricks?
  • What temp (internal and pit)?
  • What season it (SP, SPOG, Cow Lick, Peppered Cow, Bovine Bold, Cash Cow, Lowry's all in my pantry)?
  • Should I do sliced or shredded?
  • Should I eat it as is or throw it into Peppered Stout or otherwise?
  • Burnt ends?
  • When's it "done" on the smoker?

Won't you please help me to love chuckies? Teach me owe wise ones...

Thanks
Sam

My experience is that the chuck roast that I have available to me are really not well marbled and seem to have an over abundance of connective tissue that does not seem to break down like it should. For the money $5.50 to $6.50 a pound for choice chuck and $5.99 to $6.99 a pound for chuck plate ribs I will choose the plate ribs since they have never failed me and have significantly better flavor than chuck roast or brisket IMO.

My experience is that the chuck roast that I have available to me are really not well marbled and seem to have an over abundance of connective tissue that does not seem to break down like it should. For the money $5.50 to $6.50 a pound for choice chuck and $5.99 to $6.99 a pound for chuck plate ribs I will choose the plate ribs since they have never failed me and have significantly better flavor than chuck roast or brisket IMO.

I got these CAB chuck roasts for $3.49. Choice was $2.99. Given how many brethren love chuckies, there has to be something to it (connective tissue and all).

I smoke for about 3 hrs and then put it in liquid (beer) with some onions, peppers, etc., cover, and braise until it’s fork tender. That being said, I prefer plate ribs too.

I smoke for about 3 hrs and then put it in liquid (beer) with some onions, peppers, etc., cover, and braise until it’s fork tender. That being said, I prefer plate ribs too.

So far that’s been my preference as well. Plate ribs are less available and more expensive around here. Would be great if I can figure these chuckies out!

I love them. Rub with Montreal steak seasoning, Hot Shot and garlic and onion powder. Sear all sides them smoke for 3 hours. Put in beef broth with onion, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms cover and cook for a couple more hours. Slice up the meat pretty thin and put back in the beef broth with an Au Jus packet, cover and cook for another hour. Put sliced meat on a nice hoagie bun with provolone cheese and dip in Au Jus. Awesome french dip sandwiches!

Now I think I need to do one next weekend!

I love chuck roast but I only do it for chili or Crock Pot.

Search for Pepper Stout Beef. Smoke it, then braise it, then shred it. Great sammiches!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Sounds like the smoking is just to add some flavor for other recipes.

So far that’s been my preference as well. Plate ribs are less available and more expensive around here. Would be great if I can figure these chuckies out!

Hi Plate ribs at Costco's in Hackensack are 4.29 lbs. Good luck with the chuckie. I was also looking at them at Shot Rite., but I pass on them for a prime brisket at Costco's 3.29 lb
DanB

I coat it in taco seasoning, smoke it until fork tender then shred it for tacos.

Also have had success with 2 hr smoke at 300 then foil with beef broth and shred when ready.

Temps are usually around 200-205

Hi Plate ribs at Costco's in Hackensack are 4.29 lbs. Good luck with the chuckie. I was also looking at them at Shot Rite., but I pass on them for a prime brisket at Costco's 3.29 lb
DanB

That damn Costco has the worst hours for a working man.

Pepper stout beef is great so is the Root Beer suggestion There is a lot of fat to take out when pulling it but to me it is worth it

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
As Andy & George mentioned - pepper stout beef:

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Just follow this recipe like it says. This Wolfe feller (he's around here sometimes) has led untold numbers of folks to the chuckie promised land, myself included. This stuff is fantastic. In fact, I'm very seriously considering adapting/applying this to an entire chuck roll in the next few weeks for a small crowd I gotta feed.

Cover

Hi Sam What are you using for a cover for your Lang?
Thanks DanB

I think Chuck is just not designed to star on its own. It always needs to be accompanied by a sauce. I only use them as a sub for brisket in chili or burnt ends if they're on sale and I don't feel like buying and breaking down a full packer.

As Andy & George mentioned - pepper stout beef:

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Just follow this recipe like it says. This Wolfe feller (he's around here sometimes) has led untold numbers of folks to the chuckie promised land, myself included. This stuff is fantastic. In fact, I'm very seriously considering adapting/applying this to an entire chuck roll in the next few weeks for a small crowd I gotta feed.
And if you don't like stout, switch it up. I've used a porter, an Oktoberfest, dark Mexican beer. Switched out the pepper for my favorite BBQ rub. Swapped out the jalapenos for hatch chiles. It's all good!

Back