MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #12721
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

General questions about UDS/PBC:
  • How do these differ from a Weber Smokey Mountain? Is it just cost and capacity?
  • Does anyone use surplus Beer Kegs to make these or, would they be too small?
  • Does anyone "wrap" them or put a smaller barrel inside a larger one for sort of an 'insulated cabinet' smoker effect?

TIA,
Sid
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #12722
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

Default UDS lid

Am I missing something here. Everyone wants to use webber lids but the cost is insaine!!!

What do you think about a stainless mixing bowl?

Attachment 143720

Last edited by zippy12; 08-24-2017 at 02:02 PM..
zippy12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #12723
Displaced Texan
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy12 View Post
Am I missing something here. Everyone wants to use webber lids but the cost is insaine!!!

Attachment 143720
Unless you are planning on using a 30 Gallon drum, that's not going to be big enough. If you can find one that is big enough, it's a decent thought, though.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #12724
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

"Am I missing something here. Everyone wants to use webber lids but the cost is insaine!!!"

Sorta- depends on how you look at it. If you buy it Brand New- yeah- can be "expensive" (I put it in quotes because some people can spend an obscene amount of $$ on cookers)

But- if you buy a used Weber off Craigs List (OR a knock off /off brand 22.5 kettle) you might spend from Zero to 40.00. For this nominal sum, you get: One lid, One cooking Grate, one charcoal grate (could be used to make your basket), one set of wheels

Not Bad for 40.00 IMO.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #12725
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy12 View Post

Attachment 143720
I bought my Weber 22" for $40 on clearance from Target a few years back.

I kept the rest of the parts on the off chance that my UDS will need to be rebuilt, leaving me with a usuable smoker/grill until I get a new drum.

The Bowl? Not for a 55 gallon drum.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #12726
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
General questions about UDS/PBC:
  • How do these differ from a Weber Smokey Mountain? Is it just cost and capacity?
  • Does anyone use surplus Beer Kegs to make these or, would they be too small?
  • Does anyone "wrap" them or put a smaller barrel inside a larger one for sort of an 'insulated cabinet' smoker effect?

TIA,
Sid
1. For me, it was the thrill of doing it yourself...and the cost.

2. Surplus Beer Keg smoker sounds like the start of a new thread.

3. Haven't tried the insulated effect. Could be fun. What if you put your coals and wood in the space between the two? You could use the center section to catch the meat drippings so they wouldn't go to waste and/or spike your temps.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #12727
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Texan View Post
Unless you are planning on using a 30 Gallon drum, that's not going to be big enough. If you can find one that is big enough, it's a decent thought, though.

I went with this for my 30gal stainless steel build and paid 16.00 shipped. So I keep the stainless look and feel (YEA!)
zippy12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #12728
bwsawman
On the road to being a farker

For me, the dome lid issue was solved by just cutting the top off another (closed head) barrel (about 8" down from the top) and then I screwed that to the lid of the open head barrel. (Note: I cut the open top lid center out...just leaving enough around the lip to attach the dome top.) Now I have a dome top that fits my barrel perfect.
bwsawman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #12729
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Default GMATT's UDS build

I learned everything from many of you on this forum. So i thought i would take the time to give back and share the UDS I built. I did post some of this before on another thread, but it should have been in this thread. It's been a while since I got started. I moved to an apartment couple years ago that did not allow fire / BBQ. Yeah I know my mistake, never again. But now i'm back. When i started the drum sat in my garage for 3 months. I thought it was going to take a long time to complete. When i finally started it, I did the build in a weekend! I could have done it in one Saturday but i wanted to paint it. Anyway thanks to everyone's posts here! Many inspirations went into what i did.

Start:
Bought new drum

Removed paint:

First Charcoal load:

Grates:

First white smoke:

Blower and Controller:
gmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #12730
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
I learned everything from many of you on this forum. So i thought i would take the time to give back and share the UDS I built. I did post some of this before on another thread, but it should have been in this thread. It's been a while since I got started. I moved to an apartment couple years ago that did not allow fire / BBQ. Yeah I know my mistake, never again. But now i'm back. When i started the drum sat in my garage for 3 months. I thought it was going to take a long time to complete. When i finally started it, I did the build in a weekend! I could have done it in one Saturday but i wanted to paint it. Anyway thanks to everyone's posts here! Many inspirations went into what i did.

Start:
Bought new drum

Removed paint:

First Charcoal load:

Grates:

First white smoke:

Blower and Controller:
I'd say that little exhaust doesn't let you get over 250, if you're lucky. Need atleast 2", just my opinion. Other than that it looks great.

How many intakes do you have?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
PorkinButts82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017, 06:55 AM   #12731
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkinButts82 View Post
I'd say that little exhaust doesn't let you get over 250, if you're lucky. Need atleast 2", just my opinion. Other than that it looks great.

How many intakes do you have?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Ok by me i typically smoke at 225 for 9 to 10 hours. Other than opening the lid it stays there. I have one 3/4in. air intake (with blower from controller).

My cook temps:
you see the big drop then the spike was when i wrapped the butt. I left the lid off too long (drop in temp)then closed the temp came back up (spike). Then settled down.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BostonButt_Sept21.jpg (48.4 KB, 593 views)

Last edited by gmatt; 06-02-2017 at 07:01 AM..
gmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #12732
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

What is everyone's thoughts on paint on the inside? Is high heat paint a good thing to keep rust at bay? At temperatures less than 350F (thinking about spikes wrapping meat, etc.), would paint post a health concern?

Or, should I coat the inside with PAM and hit it with a load of charcoal?
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #12733
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on paint on the inside? Is high heat paint a good thing to keep rust at bay? At temperatures less than 350F (thinking about spikes wrapping meat, etc.), would paint post a health concern?

Or, should I coat the inside with PAM and hit it with a load of charcoal?
That's the healthy thing to do. It will not rust so long as you use it.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #12734
welchy
Found some matches.

I joined the forum specifically because of this thread. I have only made it through the first several pages as of yet. My son and I are going to build a UDS this summer. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a vendor that sells reconditioned drums in my area. (Modesto, CA) There are many people selling food grade drums, but I can't seem to find anyone selling reconditioned ones. Trying to avoid the expense of sand blasting or hours of scrubbing. Thank you in advance for any responses.
welchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #12735
tld0550
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchy View Post
I joined the forum specifically because of this thread. I have only made it through the first several pages as of yet. My son and I are going to build a UDS this summer. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a vendor that sells reconditioned drums in my area. (Modesto, CA) There are many people selling food grade drums, but I can't seem to find anyone selling reconditioned ones. Trying to avoid the expense of sand blasting or hours of scrubbing. Thank you in advance for any responses.
Might give U-Line a try!!! Fast and affordable shipping. I didn't get my drum from them but have ordered a many of things from this company in the past.

https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.c...Gallon%20Drums
tld0550 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker