• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Filet Mignon On The OTG (pr0n)

BobM

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I bought a 5 pound filet mignon and cut off a few medallions.
I coated them with fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt.
I cooked them on my 22 1/2" OTG over RO lump.
Simple, but they were delicious!

Spiced up.
filetmignon0101.jpg

On the kettle.
filetmignon0102.jpg

Done.
filetmignon0103.jpg

Sorry beef fillet not my cup of tea. Very tender but little flavour. As example Waghu fillet has little demand because it has no fat (read flavour)!
If I am going to eat fillet I use kangaroo fillet but I still need to marinade to enhance the flavour.
John

I don't know, dry aged I manage to get some pretty damn good flavor! But hey, each to his own. Bobm, simple S&P is how I do them also and these look pretty perfect!
Sorry beef fillet not my cup of tea. Very tender but little flavour. As example Waghu fillet has little demand because it has no fat (read flavour)!
If I am going to eat fillet I use kangaroo fillet but I still need to marinade to enhance the flavour.
John

Looks good. I cook a good many of these at our house. Not my personal favorite, but it is my wife's favorite cut of beef so it makes the menu often. She also likes it her steak well done. Almost makes me cry when I do that to a filet, but what the wife wants, the wife gets. To add flavor I always make these with some sort of sauce.

To add flavor I always make these with some sort of sauce.
I have made steaks in a cast iron skillet on my kitchen stove with a Cognac and heavy cream sauce, delicious! :icon_smil
Hey, I could make the same sauce on my OTG! :p

Since your thread might be evolving into techniques: folks should try cooking the whole tenderloin and then carve after it rests. For folks that like well done, that skinny little tail will burn up about the same time the rest is black-n-blue rare. I stiil just use S&P, but you can sauce it any way you want; my personal favorite is a brined madagascar green peppercorn-cognac-cream sauce.
I have made steaks in a cast iron skillet on my kitchen stove with a Cognac and heavy cream sauce, delicious! :icon_smil
Hey, I could make the same sauce on my OTG! :p

Back